Marske by the Sea, Yorkshire Genealogy
Marske by Sea is an Ancient Parish and has two churches the town church of St Mark and the earlier ruined church of St Germain.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marske like this:
MARSKE, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Guisbrough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, and on the Middlesbrough and Saltburn railway, 4¾ miles NNE of Guisbrongh; is freqnented as a watering-place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Marske-by-the-Sea, under Redcar. The township comprises 2,910 acres of land, and 536 of water. Real property £10,527; of which £1,571 are in iron-works.Pop. in 1851,571; in 1861,1,470. Houses, 279. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of of iron-stone mines.—The parish contains also part of Redcar township. Pop. in 1851,1,430; in 1861,2,314. Houses, 449. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Marske Hall, belongs to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £205. * Patron, the Earl of Zetland. The old church stands near the edge of a cliff, at some distance from the village; was erected in 1821; and is a neat small edifice, with tower and spire. The new chnrch stands on a site more convenient for the increasing population; was erected in 1866, with aid of a free site and at least £2,000 from the Earl of Zetland; and contains 610 sittings, all free. The p. curacy of Redcar is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £6. The father of Capt. Cook, the circumnavigator, was interred in the old burying-ground.—The sub-district contains also Upleatham parish, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 17,618. Pop., 4,803. Houses, 996.
The ruined tower of the old St Germain church contains the Cook family grave referred to in the gazeteer and stood on the cliff top.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.