Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Worcester > Athol images are all restricted. You will have to order Films 2230843, 2230844, 2230845.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Bristol > Taunton > purchase records are found at Plymouth > Bridgewater > Land records 1672-1834, images 686-764.
- Hampden > Granville > Births, marriages, deaths, town records 1733-1796 vol 1 contains early Bedford records on images 1-10. Many boundary changes in these early counties could explain records from other locations being located here.
- Hampshire > Goshen > Journal of George Smart 1860-1862 vol 3-4 and Hampshire > Goshen > Marriage intentions 1854-1895 both contain records for Goshen, Sullivan, New Hampshire.
- Suffolk > Dorchester > Birth index 1631-1849 year span should be 1850-1869.
If you encounter problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1627-2001 > Suffolk > Boston > Births 1908 no 10001-19233 > Image 75 of 254
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1627-2001 collection at FamilySearch.org.