United States Maine Knox Matinicus
Matinicus, also known as Matinicus Isle, is a Maine plantation of Knox County on a coastal island in the Gulf of Maine. Organized from Matinicus Island, Matinicus Rock, Wooden Ball Island, and Ragged (Hacketash) Island in 1840. Ragged Island, Wooden Ball Island, Seal Island, and Matinicus Rock were set off in 1897 and organized as Criehaven Plantation (organization surrendered in 1925).
County Boundary Changes. The primary island was set off from Hancock County to Lincoln County in 1843, and the remainder islands in 1852. All the islands were set off to Knox County in 1860.
- Charles A.E. Long, Matinicus Isle : Its Story and Its People (Microfilm of original published: Lewiston, Me. : Lewiston Journal Printshop, c1926). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Film 0162015. Contents: pt. 1. Historical -- pt. 2. Genealogical.
- Marlene A. Groves, Vital records of Matinicus, Maine (Rockport, Maine : Picton Press, c2005). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 974.153/M1 V2g. Contains minutes of town meetings; intentions of marriage 1840-1899; marriages 1841-1900; bills of sale.
- Donna K. Rogers, Tales of Matinicus Island ([S.l.] : Offshore Pub., c1990). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL digital online copy.
- Matinicus Isle Plantation (Maine). Plantation Clerk. Town and vital records, 1840-1900 (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah at Matinicus, 1953). "FHL Film 0011548.
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Matinicus Isle Plantation, Knox County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 21 October 2013).
Adjacent towns: Knox Co.: Camden | Criehaven Township | Isle au Haut | Muscle Ridge Shoals Township | North Haven | Owls Head | Rockport | Saint George | Vinalhaven | Hancock Co.: Stonington | Lincoln Co.: Monhegan