Maui County, Hawaii Genealogy
Guide to Maui County County, Hawaii ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Maui County, Hawaii|
Location in the state of Hawaii
Location of Hawaii in the U.S.
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.8 Genealogy
- 2.9 History
- 2.10 Land and Property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Migration
- 2.13 Military
- 2.14 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Obituaries
- 2.17 Probate
- 2.18 Public Records
- 2.19 Repositories
- 2.20 Taxation
- 2.21 Vital Records
- 2.22 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created in 1905 from Wailuku (old) county
- County seat: Wailuku 
- Neighboring Islands: Hawaii | Honolulu
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Hawaii Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Maui County, Hawaii Genealogy census records online, see: Hawaii Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Hawaii denominations, view the Hawaii Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Maui County, Hawaii Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Hawaii Local Histories.
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Molokai reporter. (Maunaloa, Molokai [Hawaii]) 1969-1970
- The Lanaian. (Lanai City, Lanai [Hawaii]) 1948-1958
- The Lanaian. ([Lanai City, Hawaii) 1978-current
- The Valley isle. (Wailuku, Maui [Hawaii]) 1977-1978
- Valley isle chronicle. (Wailuku, Maui, T.H. [Territory of Hawaii]) 1947-1955
- The Lahaina news. (Lahaina, Maui, Ha.) 1979-current
- Ka Leo o Molokai = The voice of Molokai. (Kaunakakai, Molokai) 1950-1955
- Friendly isle news. (Kaunakakai, Molokai, T.H.) 1955-1957
- The Hana bulletin. (Hana, Maui, Hawaii) 1970-1972
- The Maui reporter. (Wailuku, Hawaii) 1982-1982
- The Lahaina sun. (Lahaina, Maui [Hawaii]) 1970-1973
- The Maui sun. (Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii) 1973-1981
- Molokai times. (Kaunakakai, Molokai [Hawaii]) 1981-current
- Ka Lama Hawaii. (Lahainaluna, Maui) 1834-1841 | Languages: Hawaiian
- You bet. ([Pukoo, Molokai, Hawaii) 1919-192?
- Now is the time. (Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii) 1953-1953 | Languages: English, Iloko
- Maui daily digest. (Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii) 1978-????
- Ka Molokai. (Kaunakakai, HI) 1971-????
- Molokai free press = Na mea hou o Molokai. ([Kaunakakai, Molokai, Hawaii) 1976-????
- Molokaiʻ news. (K'kai [i.e. Kaunakakai], Molokai, HI) 1984-current
Family History Center
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Hana Hawaii Family History Center
- Kahului Hawaii Family History Center
- Kihei Hawaii Family History Center
- Lahaina Hawaii Family History Center
- Makawao Hawaii Family History Center
Hana Public And School Library
P.O. Box 490
Hana, HI 96713
Kahului Public Library
90 School St.
Kahului, HI 96732
Kihei Public Library
131 South Kihei Rd.
Kihei, HI 96753
Lahaina Public Library
680 Wharf St.
Lahaina, HI 96761
Lanai Public And School Library
Lanai City, HI 96763
Makawao Public Library
1159 Makawao Avenue
Makawao, HI 96768
Molokai Public Library
P.O. Box 395
Kaunakakai, HI 96748
Wailuku Public Library
251 High St.
Wailuku, HI 96793
The Nisei Veterans Memorial Center
PO Box 216
Kahului, HI 96733-6716
Phone: (808) 244-6862
Facebook: The Nisei Veterans Memorial Center
Overlooking Kahului Harbor, just as Kahului Beach Road becomes Lower Main Street.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. The State office has some records as early as 1853 up to the present. See the State of Hawaii, Department of Health website for information on acquiring the records and any restrictions.
Maui Marriage Record Indexes are available online through the Hawaii State Archives from 1842 to 1929. The records come from the ministers who performed the marriages, the agents who issued the licenses, or school teachers who reported marriages in their district. Records of marriages are closed to the public for 75 years after the marriage date.
Each index provides:
- Name of the bride and groom
- Date on the document
- District on the Island of Maui where the event took place
- Book, section, and page where record may be found
Records generated after the year 1895 may also provide parents of the bride/groom, race or ethnicity, age, and place of residence.
Hawaii State Archives Maui Marriage Record Indexes
After discovering your ancestor on a marriage index, check the FamilySearch Catalog to locate a copy of the original certificate on microfilm. The following microfilm can be ordered or viewed online at a FamilySearch Center:
Marriage certificates, licenses, and application, islands of Maui, Lanai, and Molokai, 1842-1900: FHL film 1014413-1014414
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Maui County, Hawaii Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).