Mayotte, France Genealogy
|Mayotte Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Mayotte ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Getting Started with Mayotte Research
Links to articles on getting started with Mayotte research.
Mayotte Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Mayotte research.
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in Mayotte.
Online Church Records and Civil Registration
The vast majority of your research will be in church records and civil registration. Fortunately, these records are available online from the archives of each department.
How to Read the Records
- For more instruction on using these records, see:
Learning to Read Enough French to Do Genealogy
- It's easier than you think! You do not have to be fluent in French to use these records, as there is only a limited vocabulary used in them. By learning a few key phrases, you will be able to read them adequately. Here are some resources for learning to read French records.
- There is a three-lesson course in reading French Records:
Finding Church Records and Civil Registration Online
Each Department of France has archives that provide digitized images of these records.
Here is the address for the Department Archives of Mayotte, where you will find these records.
National Overseas Archives, Mayotte
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mayotte," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayotte, accessed 27 April 2016.