MENDHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hoxne, partly in the hundred of Earsham, E. division of Norfolk, but chiefly in the hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 1¼ mile (E. by S.) from Harleston. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
On 25 Mar 1885, the Norfolk section of this parish joined Redenhall with Harleston.
If you live in Suffolk
then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers
. Refer to Mendham
in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
was in Hoxne
district till 1907 at which time it was moved into Hartismere District. About 30% of the population and 25% of the land was on the North side of the Waveney; therefore, they were in the district of Earsham
, county of Norfolk. In 1907 Hoxne district was abolished. To search an index of Hoxne, Hartismere, or Earsham district records go to FreeBMD
. The Suffolk Civil Registration
article tells more about these records.
While the district had been created in 1837 for the purpose of recording births, deaths , and marriages, the Hundred had been in existence for hundreds of years for administrative, military, and judicial purposes.
Mendham, Suffolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
The Parish Registers begin in 1678. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1678 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. cid=0#0 Parish Chest records are lacking for Mendham. See Suffolk Church Records for further details.
There are census records available for Mendham from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Mendham, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Mendham was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 there was one National Index. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other things of interest.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- Vision of Britain
- British History Online - MENDHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hoxne, partly in the hundred of Earsham, E. division of Norfolk, but chiefly in the hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 1¼ mile (E. by S.) from Harleston. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
|| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp.287-291. Date accessed: 20 June 2014
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911 Place Index', findmypast, accessed 18 December 2015.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 287-291. Date accessed: 02 October 2013.