Several towns in Rutland County have undergone official name changes in their history, but Mendon holds a record; three names. Vermont chartered Medway on Feb. 23, 1781. In an unrelated move, Jonathan Parker purchased a 3,000-acre tract of land in 1796 known today as Parkers Gore. Medway and Parkers Gore merged in 1804, and Medway became Parkertown after the largest landowner. This also explains that irregular property boundary of the town located in the southeast corner. Parker's influence remained with the town for until 1827 when the state renamed the town one last time to Mendon. 
The history of Mendon, Vermont: Commemorating the Bicentennial of America 1776-1976 and Vermont 1727-1977 anticipating the Bicentennial of Mendon 1781-1981
by Mary Ruth, 1977. Find a library where book is held.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Mendon is Rutland.
Rutland Probate Court
83 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Mendon. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Rutland County, website at this link.
- Eggelston Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mountain Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Rice Cemetery (Mendon Mountain Orchard Cemetery) - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Tenney Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Town Line Road Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site
- Wheelerville Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
1. Mendon Community United Methodist Church
2600 Route 4 East
Rutland, VT 05765
Phone: (802) 459-2070
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, can be found on FamilySerach (browse only images) at this link.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Mendon Town Clerks Office. These include Town records, 1806-1851, and Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1857-1995
Mendon Town Clerk
157 Park Ln
Mendon, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 775-1662
Rutland Herald online at this link.
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Mendon holds Vermont record for changing its name, Don Wickman, Rutland Herald Newspaper, Nov. 3, 2006.
- History Rutland County Vermont, Edited by H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann, Syracuse, NY, 1886.