Mescalero Indian Agency (New Mexico)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Agents and Appointment Dates
Lorenzo Labadi 1861, Lt. A. G. Hennisee 1869, Robert S. Clark 1870, Andrew J. Curtis 11871, Samuel B. Bushnell 1873, William D. Crothers 1874, Frederick C. Godfroy 1876, John A. Broadhead 1878 and Samuel A. Russell 1878 
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
For a description of the various records, their content, and their availability, link to the pages for each type of record. Each individual agency also has a page describing its history and the location of their records. An alphabetical list of the agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs can be found below. They are also linked under the topic "American Indians" for each state. Pages for individual sub-agencies are listed alphabetically under the category of "American Indian Subagencies" and are linked under the topic of "American Indians" for each state where they existed.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Mescalero Apache Indians in New Mexico. The Indians residing on this reservation in 1900 were under the jurisdiction of the Mescalero Indian Agency and are listed on Indian Population Schedules as District 178, Mescalero Apache Reservation, in Otero County, New Mexico.
Records Available Through the Family History Library
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1900 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 196 thru 198. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 579664-579666). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Inventory of the Records of the Mescalero Indian Agency. by Robert Svenningsen. FHL Book: 970.1 Al#13
- The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M595, p. 51.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.