Metton, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham|
|Parish registers: 1738|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
METTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Cromer. 
Metton St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norfolk.
Built of flint with stone quoins and dressings it dates from the early 14th century. An unusual feature of the tower is the passage way from North to South which may have been incorporated to allow for ceremonial processions around the church within consecrated ground.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Metton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Metton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1738-1902||Undefined||1738-1812, 1815-1841||Undefined||1738-1912|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 392
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438853.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Metton on GenUKI
- Metton St Andrew
- Midevil stained glass
- British History Online
- Metton on Norfolk Churches
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 298-301. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.