Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Chihuahua, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en el Estado de Chihuahua, México.|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Chihuahua|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Contents
- 3 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues With This Collection
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church parish records in Chihuahua, Mexico, covers the years from 1632 to 1958. These records are written in Spanish.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958.|
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
Confirmation records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
Death or burial records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
How Do I Search the Collection?
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page: This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1521780|
What Do I Do Next?
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking For, What Now?
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Sinaloa is on the southwestern border, Sonora on the western, New Mexico on the north, Texas on the northeastern, Coahuila on the eastern, and Durango on the south.
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Parroquias Católicas, Chihuahua (Catholic Church parishes, Chihuahua).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.