Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Chihuahua, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en el Estado de Chihuahua, México.|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Chihuahua|
What is in the Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church parish records in Chihuahua, Mexico, covers the years from 1632 to 1958. These records are written in Spanish.
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
Confirmation records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
Death or burial records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Sinaloa is on the southwestern border, Sonora on the western, New Mexico on the north, Texas on the northeastern, Coahuila on the eastern, and Durango on the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Chihuahua (Catholic Church parishes, Chihuahua).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Chihuahua, Catholic Church Records, 1632-1958.|