Mexico, Jalisco, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Jalisco, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1979 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Jalisco, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiales del Estado de Jalisco, México|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Jalisco|
What is in the Collection?
This collection of parish records for the State of Jalisco includes the years 1590 to 1979. These records are written in Spanish. For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
Baptism records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Parents' names
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of witnesses
Confirmation records usually contain the following information:
- Name and age of person being confirmed
- Date of confirmation
- Parish of confirmation
- Father's name
- Mother's name
- Godparents's names
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name, age, civil status, origin and nationality
- Groom's occupation and residence
- Names of groom's parents and if deceased
- Groom's parents' occupation, origin and nationality
- Bride's name, age, civil status, origin and nationality
- Bride's occupation and residence
- Names of bride's parents and if deceased
- Bride's parents' occupation, origin and nationality
- Names of the witnesses and their residence
Death records may contain the following information:
- Name and age of deceased *Date and place of death
- Civil status and origin of deceased
- Spouse's name if married, and their age
- Parents' names
- Declarant's name, age and civil status
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town"
⇒ Select the "Parish"
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Nayarit is to the northwest, Zacatecas to the northeast with Aguascalientes, Guanajuato to the east, Michoacán to the southeast, and Colima to the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Jalisco, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1979." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing Parroquias Católicas, Jalisco [Catholic Church parishes, Jalisco].
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Jalisco, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1979.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Jalisco, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1979.|