Mexico, Michoacan, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Michoacán, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1996 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Related Websites
- 8 Related Wiki Articles
- 9 Contributions to This Article
- 10 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de Michoacan, México.
What is in the Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Michoacan covers the years 1549 to 1909. These records are written in Spanish.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Michoacán, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1996.|
Baptism or confirmation records may include the following information:
- Date and place of the baptism or confirmation
- Child's given name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Parents' names and place of birth or residence
- Names of paternal and maternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
- Names of witnesses
Marriage records may include the following information:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name and age of groom and bride
- Civil status, origin and residence of groom and bride
- Names and nationality of parents of groom and bride and if deceased
- Names, age, civil status, and residence of witnesses
Death or burial records may include the following information:
- Date and place of death or burial
- Name of deceased
- Cause of death
- Civil status, and origin of deceased
- Parents' names
- Witnesses' names
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town"
⇒ Select the "Parish"
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
What Do I Do Next?
The Catholic Church parish records are an excellent source for genealogical research in Mexico. These may also be the only records available for Spanish research before civil registration was implemented in 1871.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|FHL Place Mexico, Michoacán items or FHL Keyword Mexico, Michoacán items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Mexico Archives and Libraries.|
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Colima is to the west, Jalisco to the northwest, Guanajuato to north, Querétaro to the northeast, Estado de México to the east, and Guerrero to the southeast.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- Mexico Church Records
- Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Michoacán, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1996." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Michoacan (Catholic Church parishes, Michoacan).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Michoacán, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1996.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Michoacán, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1996.|