Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|San Luis Potosí, Mexico|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of San Luis Potosí, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiales del Estado de San Luis Potosí, México|
|San Luis Potosí Diocese Archives|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Contents
- 3 What Can This Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing this Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection of parish records for San Luis Potosi includes the years 1586 to 1977. These records are written in Spanish.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977.|
What Can This Collection Tell Me?
Baptism or confirmation records usually contain the following information:
- Date and parish of baptism or confirmation
- Child's name, age and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Legitimacy of child
- Parents' names
- Godparents' names
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the bride and groom
- Groom's date and place of birth, baptism and confirmation
- Groom's civil status, origin and residence
- Names of groom's parents
- Any previous marriages
- Bride's date and place of birth, baptism and confirmation
- Names of witnesses
- Sometimes, the race if recorded
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Date of death or burial
- Name and age of deceased
- Sometimes, parents names or name of spouse, if married
- Sometimes, the race of deceased
How Do I Search the Collection?
Search by name by visiting the Collection Page: Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
⇒ Select the "City or Town"
⇒ Select the "Parish"
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1860864|
What Do I Do Next?
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking For, What Now?
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Zacatecas is to the west, Nuevo León to the north, Tamaulipas to the northeast, Veracruz to the east, Hidalgo to the southeast, and Guanajuato to the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, San Luis Potosi, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing San Luis Potosí Diocese Archives.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.