Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977 .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Records
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 Known Issues with This Collection
- 6 Related Websites
- 7 Related Wiki Articles
- 8 How You Can Contribute
- 9 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Paroquiales del Estado de San Luis Potosí, México.
What is in the Collection?
This collection of parish records for San Luis Potosi includes the years 1586 to 1977. These records are written in Spanish.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977.|
Baptism or confirmation records usually contain the following information:
- Date and parish of baptism or confirmation
- Child's name, age and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Legitimacy of child
- Parents' names
- Godparents' names
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the bride and groom
- Groom's date and place of birth, baptism and confirmation
- Groom's civil status, origin and residence
- Names of groom's parents
- Any previous marriages
- Bride's date and place of birth, baptism and confirmation
- Names of witnesses
- Sometimes, the race if recorded
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Date of death or burial
- Name and age of deceased
- Sometimes, parents names or name of spouse, if married
- Sometimes, the race of deceased
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town"
⇒ Select the "Parish"
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|FHL Place Mexico, San Luis Potosí items or FHL Keyword Mexico, San Luis Potosí items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Mexico Archives and Libraries.|
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Zacatecas is to the west, Nuevo León to the north, Tamaulipas to the northeast, Veracruz to the east, Hidalgo to the southeast, and Guanajuato to the south.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- San Luis Potosí
- Mexico Church Records
- Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Mexico, San Luis Potosi State, Catholic Church Records/Cuidad San Luis Potosí, Parroquia Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, San Luis Potosi, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing San Luis Potosí Diocese Archives.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977.|