Mexico, Tlaxcala, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Tlaxcala, Catholic Church Records, 1576-1994 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Tlaxcala, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Tlaxcala|
Title in the Language of the Record
Registros Paroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de Tlaxcalca.
What is in the Collection?
This collection of parish records (such as baptism, marriage, death, and burial records) from the State of Tlaxcala includes years from about 1576 to 1994. These records are written in Spanish.
Baptism or confirmation records may include the following:
- Date and place of baptism or confirmation
- Name and gender of child
- Names of the parents
- Age of the person being baptized or the person’s birth date
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
- Sometimes the person’s race
Marriage records may include the following:
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the betrothed
- Names of the parents
- Names of the witnesses
- Ages and marital statuses of the betrothed
- Places of origin and residence of the betrothed and sometimes that of the parents
- Legitimacy of the betrothed
- Sometimes the race of the betrothed
Death or burial records may include the following:
- Date and place of death or burial
- Name of the deceased person
- Sometimes the names of the parents or the spouse, if the deceased was married
- Age of the deceased person at time of death
- Place of residence or origin of the deceased person
- Sometimes the race of the deceased
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "México, Tlaxcala, registros parroquiales, 1576-1994." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Tlaxcala (Catholic Church parishes, Tlaxcala).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Tlaxcala, Catholic Church Records, 1576-1994.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Tlaxcala, Catholic Church Records, 1576-1994.|