Mexico, Veracruz, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Veracruz, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1978 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Veracruz, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de Veracruz, México|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Veracruz|
What is in the Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church parish records includes the years 1590 to 1978. These records are written in Spanish.
Baptism or confirmation records may contain the following:
- Date and place of baptism or confirmation
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Parents' names
- Godparents' names
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
Marriage records may contain the following:
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the bride and groom
- Groom's date and place of birth
- Groom's date and place of baptism and date and place of confirmation
- Groom's age, civil status, origin and residence
- Names of groom's parents, their origin and residence
- Bride's date and place of birth
- Bride's date and place of baptism and date and place of confirmation
- Names of bride's parents, their age, occupation and residence
- Names of the witnesses
- Witnesses' civil status, occupation, origin, and residence
- Length of time witnesses have known couple.
Death or burial records may contain the following:
- Name and age of deceased
- Date and place of death or burial
- Cause of death
- Origin and residence of deceased
- Spouse's name, if married
- Sometimes, burial information
How Do I Search the Collection?
Search by name by visiting the Collection Page: Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
⇒ Select the "Province"
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
Unable to find your ancestor? Try looking through records in the surrounding localities. Veracruz is a long, thin state. Tamaulipas is on the north, Tabasco to the east, Chiapas with a small southeast border, Oaxaca along the southeast, then Puebla, Hidalgo, and San Luis Potosí moving north along the western border.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Veracruz, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1978." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Veracruz (Catholic Church parishes, Veracruz).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Veracruz, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1978.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Veracruz, Catholic Church Records, 1590-1978.|
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.