Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Mexican States|
|Location of Yucatán, Mexico|
|Title in the Language:||México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan|
|Catholic Church Parishes, Yucatan|
What is in the Collection?
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1977. These records are written in Spanish.
Baptism or confirmation records may contain the following:
- Date and place of the baptism or confirmation
- Child's given name and gender
- Child's birth date and place
- Parents names
- Paternal and maternal grandparents' names
- Godparents' names
Marriage records may contain the following:
- Date and place of the marriage
- Name and age of groom
- Groom's legitimacy, baptismal date and confirmation date
- Groom's birth date and place of birth
- Groom's occupation, civil status and origin and residence
- Groom’s parents' names, their occupation and origin
- Name and age of bride
- Bride's legitimacy, baptismal date and confirmation date
- Bride's birth date and place of birth
- Bride's origin and residence
- Bride's parents' names
- Witnesses names, their age, occupation, civil status, and residence
- Length of time witnesses have known bride and groom
Death or burial records may contain the following:
- Date and place of death or burial
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Origin and residence of deceased
- Cause of death
- Spouse's name, if married
- Parents' names and their origin
- If their were children of deceased
How Do I Search the Collection?
To browse the collection by image:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Town" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years " category which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Parroquias Católicas, Yucatan (Catholic Church parishes, Yucatan).
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977.|
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977.|