Michigan, United States Genealogy
United States Michigan
|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Michigan ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Michigan became the twenty-sixth state admitted to the Union in January 26, 1837. Michigan was created from Michigan Territory and is located in the Midwestern region of the United States. There are 83 counties in the U.S. state of Michigan. The State capital is Lansing. 
Getting Started with Michigan Research
Links to articles on getting started with Michigan research.
Michigan Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Michigan research.
Michigan Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Aishcum · Anamickee · Bleeker · Brown · Cheonoquet · Des Moines · Dubuque · Forest · Iowa · Isle Royal · Kanotin · Kautawaubet · Kaykakee · Keskkauko · Manitou · Meegisee · Michilimackinac · Mikenauk · Neewago · Notipekago · Okkuddo · Omeena · Shawano · Tonedagana · Unwattin · Wabassee · Washington · Wyandot
Michigan Migration Routes
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- 2001-2014 - Currentobituary.com index, 2001-2014 at FamilySearch — index
- Cyndi's List - Michigan genealogy sites on the internet
- Michigan Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Michigan
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Michigan
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Michigan genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Michigan
- Michigan Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "Michigan " in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.