Middlesbrough Poor Law Union, Yorkshire
Middlesbrough Poor Law Union was formed on 25th June 1875 and comprised the townships and parishes of Eston, Hemlington, Ingleby Barwick, Linthorpe, Maltby, Marton, Middlesbrough, Normanby, Ormesby, Stainton, Thornsby, and West Acklam.
The Union Workhouse opened on 23 December 1878 and could accommodate over 700.
The capacity was later increased due to criticism and during periods of hardship over 900 people were recorded there.
In 1930 on abolition of the Union the site became known as Holgate Institution (a Public Assistance Institution) later an old person's home and finally a local authority Adult Training Centre. The buildings were generally demolished in the 1980's but the former Infirmary from 1930 formed the Middlesbrough General Hospital (formerly Municipal Hospital)
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: