Miranda California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 250 School Road Miranda, CA 95553 United States
- 1/4 mile from the Avenue of the Giants (the road is next to South Fork High School)
- We are about 60 miles south of Eureka, California, use highway 101 to highway 254.
- Use the Myers Flat exit from the north and Miranda exit from the south turning up School Road at South Fork High.
1-707-943-1846 Family History Center
- 1-707-943-3071 LDS Miranda Branch
- Other days and times as arranged with Mary Whitmore at 707-943-3403 or Marling McReynolds at 707-233-5894
Closed on Holidays that fall on Thursday or Saturday and other days as needed:
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
We will gladly do look ups for anyone in the materials we have here, especially those not as yet on line. Call 707-943-1846 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates on collections and other materials will be forthcoming as we update this site.
We have the Rhode Island Genealogical Register volumes 1 & 2, 2nd edition, revised 1986 plus the RI Registers through 1996.
These Registers include 23 hard bound books and 24 paper bound registers, all listing names, dates, ships, towns, family lines and stories from Rhode Island. The first 20 volumes (including the soft covers and 12 hard cover) are the Rhode Island Genealogical Register plus 5 volumes on vital records of Washington county, 2 volumes on East and West Greenwich counties, 4 volumes on New Port county vital records. These records date from the 1590 forward to 1930.
We have The Stovall Family Journals published quarterly from 1992 to present.
These journals include such things as: queries; in memory of articles; missing Stovalls; cemetery records; and much more. This is a great resource if you find the Stovall name in your family.
We have the Yell County Historical & Genealogical Association Bulletin from 1982 to present. These are usually 3 issues per year.
These bulletins contain such things as: queries; family group sheets; family history stories from Arkansas families; some court records and more.
We have some Humboldt County, California records
We have several directories of Eureka and Humboldt County California from the 1960's through 1970's. We also have several binders of the Humboldt Historian newsletter, Southern Humboldt Roots and Trails newsletters, The Redwood Researcher, and other Humboldt County California records. We also have copies of cemetery records, some local family pedigrees, and other books on Humboldt County history. Some of the records reach back into the late 1800's with the pedigrees reaching even farther.
Basics and Equipment
FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
- Three computers for on-line work and all of the computers are linked to a printer.
- One Reader/Printer for both microfilm and microfiche
- 4 microfiche readers
- 3 microfilm readers
- Beginning research, first family group sheet and pedigree help
- Beginning research on-line through FamilySearch, New FamilySearch and Wiki FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, and other computer searches such as google.
- Individual help with sorting family stories and records already aquired but not necessarily understood.
- Free query lookups in our library collections.
Staff Research Specialties
Center Director, Mary Whitmore, specializes in Native American research, and has experience in Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and Tennessee research.
Consultant, Marling McReynolds, specializes in use of the computer, especially Google type searches. She also does research in Colonial New Jersey and other colonies, as well as Eastern Canada such as Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.
Our Center Director and Consultant have recently (April 2013) finished a course on using Google as a Family History Research Tool. It was very enlightening. We will on the 28th and 29th of June, 2013 attend the Family History Expo for Northern California in Sacramento as we did last year.
Resources in the Local Area
- Humboldt County Library in Eureka, California has the Humboldt Room, with genealogical and historic resources especially about this area.
- Humboldt County Libraries have access to the Sutro Library in San Francisco, which is an exceptional collection of genealogical materials.
Volunteer at the Center
If you live in the Southern Humboldt area of Northern California and need help with your research or wish to volunteer please come in or give us a call; Mary Whitmore 707-943-3403 or Marling McReynolds 707-223-5894.