Australia Miscellaneous Genealogical Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Australia, Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Greenwich New South Wales Family History Centre|
What is in the Collection?
This collection will include records from 1776 to 1980.
These are miscellaneous Australian genealogical records. This material is handwritten or typed on index cards. The cards are filed in alphabetical order by surname. Some index cards are transcripts of newspaper reports of births, marriages, and deaths; some are transcripts of various vital records, and so on. The emphasis appears to be New South Wales, with some Victorian records. Some cards show LDS ordinance work (Temple Index Bureau) and extracts of LDS membership records. Other cards list information regarding various LDS families, and the emphasis appears to be South Australia (but does not include the early LDS families there).
The collection is composed of three sets of cards:
- The first set has data transcribed from birth, marriage and death records along with newspaper notices. The emphasis is on New South Wales with some records from Victoria.
- The second set is an index to temple and church records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- The third set is data primarily from family records and vital certificates. The emphasis is on families of South Australia with some additional information on families from Queensland. The population coverage is minimal. These cards were created as indexes to various genealogical records.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980.|
These records usually include the following information:
- Name of the spouse with place and date of marriage
- Age and place of birth
- Residence and occupation
- Names of descendants
- Names of parents with their places of birth
- Place and date of death
- Amount of time resident in Australia
- Names of siblings with their ages
- Some temple ordinance dates (on Temple Index Bureau cards)
How Do I Search the Collection?
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
To search the collection by name:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the “FILM" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
- Dates and places of birth can be used to search for information about parents if the parents’ information is not included. New South Wales has an index to births 1788-1910, deaths 1788-1980, and marriages 1788-1960
- The place of residence in Australia can lead to searches in immigration records for places of origin
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Australia Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Greenwich New South Wales Family History Centre.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):