Mitchell County, Kansas Genealogy
Guide to Mitchell County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Mitchell County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Address|| Mitchell County Courthouse|
111 S. Hershey Ave.
Beloit, Kansas 67420-0190
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Mitchell County, Kansas Record Dates
Mitchell County Courthouse
111 S Hersey Avenue
Beloit, KS 67420
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk District Court has divorce records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1867--Mitchell County was created 26 February 1867 from unorganized territory. County seat: Beloit 
Mitchell County has had no boundary changes.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Mitchell County has the following populated places:
- Beloit (county seat, 2010 population 3835)
- Cawker City (2010 population 469)
- Glen Elder (2010 population 445)
- Tipton (2010 population 210)
- Asherville (unincorporated, township population 122)
- Simpson (2010 population 86)
- Hunter (2010 population 57)
- Solomon Rapids (unincorporated, township population 80)
- Scottsville (2010 population 25)
The county consists of 16 townships:
- Asherville, population 122
- Beloi , population 4,003
- Bloomfield, population 83
- Blue Hill, population 36
- Carr Creek, population 31
- Cawker, population 578
- Center, population 49
- Custer, population 132
- Eureka, population 41
- Glen Elder, population 553
- Hayes, population 21
- Logan, population 168
- Lulu, population 90
- Pittsburg, population 346
- Plum Creek, population 119
- Round Springs, population 27
- Salt Creek, population 39
- Solomon Rapids, population 80
- Turkey Creek, population 134
- Walnut Creek, population 42
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Kansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Mitchell County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Township Map of 1887 Mitchell County, Kansas with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
- Mitchell County was not organized until after the Civil War.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mitchell County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Mitchell and click Probate records.
Beloit, KS High School Alumni Roster: Covers the years 1883-1921
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1811 - 1911 Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Mitchell County Historical Society
PO Box 472
Mitchell County Historical Society
402 W 8th, Beloit, KS. 67420
Telephone Number: 785-738-5355
Cawker City Public Library and Genealogical Society
PO Box 251
Cawker City, Kansas 67430
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Mitchell County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mitchell County, Kansas page 253, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).