Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Mitchell County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mitchell County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Mitchell County Courthouse
Crimson Laurel Way Admin Bldg
P O Box 82
Bakersville, NC 28705
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and probate records from 1861
and Court records from 1912 Regiser of Deeds has marriage and land records 
Register of Deeds
6 Crimson Laurel Circle, Ste. 4
Bakersville, NC 28705
Clerk of Superior Court
328 Longview Drive
Bakersville, NC 28705
Telephone: (828) 688-5100
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1907--Several records believed to have been destroyed during move into new courthouse.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- 1861-1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861-1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mitchell County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 5th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company B
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company E
Online Probate Records
- 1660-1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663-1979 - North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665-1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735-1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760-1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1826-1946 - North Carolina Estate Records, 1826-1946 at FamilySearch.org - images
Microfilmed Probate Records
- 1871-1963 - Probate records, 1871-1963; indexes, 1869-1968 at FamilySearch.org - Images and Index
- includes index to Administrators & Executors, Guardians, & decrees
- 1875-1970 - Mitchell County Birth Index 1875-1970. Batch C752117 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1800-2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866-1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898-1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906-1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908-2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931-1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1861-1969 - Mitchell County Marriage Index 1861-1969 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741-2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759-1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762-1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763-1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Toe Valley Genealogical Society
491 Beaver Creek Road
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Mitchell County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- State Library of North Carolina - Family History
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mitchell County, North Carolina. Page 511 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.