Monroe County, Wisconsin Genealogy
|United States||Wisconsin||Monroe County|
|Monroe County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|County Seat|| Sparta|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Monroe County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Monroe County Courthouse
202 S K Street
Sparta, WI 54656
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage death, and land records;
Clerk of Courts has divorce, probate, court and naturalization records;
Veterans Service Office has military records 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- Monroe County Biographies WIGenWeb Archives project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Monroe County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
- Records of Trinity Lutheran Church, Cashton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Crime and Criminals
- Sparta High School Senior Class of 1912 USGenWeb Archives
- Sparta High School Senior Class of 1919 USGenWeb Archives
- Directory of the Graduates of Tomah High School, 1880-1918 USGenWeb Archives
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Wisconsin Resources - Ethnic Origins WIGenWeb project
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Monroe County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Monroe County.
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies A and G
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies H and I
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Monroe County Historical Society
1488 Aqua Rd
Black River Falls, WI 54615-7609
Monroe, Jackson, Juneau Genealogical Workshop
Rt 3, Box 253
Sparta, WI 54615
Foundation for Eastern European Family History Studies
PO Box 321
Springville UT 84663
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Monroe County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- WIGenWeb project
- USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Monroe County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).