Montana Naturalization Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Montana, United States|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|Seal of the National Archives|
|Record Group||RG 21: Records of District Courts of the United States|
|National Archives Identifier||350|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing this Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection includes naturalization Records from the U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana, part of RG 21 Records of the United States of the United States from the Denver Regional NARA facility for the following collections.
- NAID 6857750 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Records, 1889-1999
- NAID 1136993 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Index to Naturalization Records, 1894-1906
- NAID 4529409 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Certificate Stub Books, 1907-1927
- NAID 1136970 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Petitions, 1907-1927
- NAID 1137591 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization, 1892-1929
- NAID 1138207 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1891-1893
- NAID 1136984 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization Records, 1889-1999
- NAID 1136990 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Naturalization records,1894-1906
- NAID 2674600 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Helena Term. Index to Naturalization records,1891-1898
- NAID 1137799 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term, Citizenship Record Books, 1894-1903
- NAID 1137818 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1894-1902
- NAID 1137887 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1894-1902
- NAID 1137235 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Naturalization Petition and Record Books, 1910-1929
- NAID 1138216 U.S. Circuit Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Citizenship Record Books, 1894-1903
- NAID 1136813 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Naturalization Petition Record Book, 1926-1926
- NAID 1137809 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Butte Term. Index to Citizenship Record Book, 1894-1903
- NAID 1137242 U.S. District Court for the District of Montana. Great Falls Term. Declarations of Intention for Naturalization, 1924-1924
- NAID 1138230 U.S. Territorial Court for the First (Bozeman) District of Montana. Declarations of Intention, 1868-1885
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999.|
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
These records may contain any of the following:
- Name of the immigrant
- Country of birth
- Arrival date
- Date of Declaration of Intent or Naturalization
- Names of witnesses
- Signature of judge or court official
- Birth date
- Last foreign residence
- Current residence
- Arrival place
- Marital status
- Name of spouse
- Maiden name of wife
- Birth date of spouse
- Residence of spouse
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know at least some of the following:
- The full name of your ancestor.
- The approximate immigration and naturalization dates.
- The ancestor’s residence.
If you do not know this information, check the 1900 or 1910 census and then calculate the possible year of naturalization based on the date of immigration. The 1920 census may tell you the exact year of immigration or naturalization.
Compare the information on the image to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if it is the correct family or person. You may need to compare several images before you find your ancestor.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Pagethen:
⇒Select the appropriate "County"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type, Year Range, and Volume number or letter".
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the information to find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, ship’s manifests, birth, christening, marriage, and census records.
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Use the information in the subsequent records to find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking for, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Search the indexes and records of Montana, United States Genealogy.
- Search in the Montana Archives and Libraries.
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Montana Naturalization Records, 1868-1999" Images. FamilySearch http://FamilySearch.org.accessed 2017. Citing Various NAID. Records of District Court of the United States, 1685 - 2009, RG 21. National Archives at Denver, Colorado.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.