Montgomery County, Maryland Genealogy
Guide to Montgomery County, Maryland ancestry, family history, and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Montgomery County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||September 6, 1776|
|Address|| Montgomery County Courthouse|
101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor
Rockville, MD 20850
Montgomery County Website
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Family Histories
- 4.6 Gazetteers
- 4.7 Immigration
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Research Guides
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1799,
divorce, court and land records from 1776
1830 Census Missing. 
- Named for Richard Montgomery, general in the American Revolutionary War.
- Created 6 September 1776 from Frederick County.
- 1791, portions of the county (including Georgetown) along with portions of Prince George's County were ceded to form District of Columbia.
- For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Villages & Special Tax Districts
District of Columbia
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Maryland Cemeteries for more information.|
- "Brown Family Cemetery, Montgomery County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 51, No. 2 (Apr. 1975):110. FHL 973 D25aga v. 51
- Riggs, Ronald Paul and John Frederick Dorman. "Two Montgomery County, Maryland, Cemeteries," The American Genealogist, Vol. 50, No. 2 (Apr. 1974):91. FHL 973 D25aga v. 50 [Peter Family Cemetery and Offutt Family Cemetery.]
Provincial Census of 1776, Frederick County; Including Lower Potomac Hundred, August 22, 1776; George Town Hundred, August 22, 1776; [Unnamed] Hundred, including present Montgomery County, 1776; Elizabeth Hundred, July 22, 1776 (24 pages of facsimile reproductions); Sugar Land Hundred, September 2, 1776; North West Hundred, September 2, 1776 is available online, see pages 177-257 of:
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. Maryland Records: Colonial, Revolutionary, County and Church from Original Sources. Vol. 1. Baltimore, Md.: Williams & Wilkins Company, 1915. Digital version at Google Books.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Montgomery County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
- Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions is not intended to be a complete listing of all Religious institutions in Maryland. It was originally based upon the churches recorded by the Federal Works Progress Administration during a records survey conducted from 1935 to 1941. It has been expanded by later acquisitions from religious organizations to the Maryland State Archives.
Church of England
- [Allnutt] Allnutt, Ernest C. "William Allnutt and Wife Sarah (Mears) Talbott, Widow of John Talbott of Calvert County, Maryland: The Progenitors of the American Colonial Family of Allnutt with One Line of Their Descendants in Montgomery County, Maryland," Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, Vol. 33, No. 4 (Fall 1992):712-766. FHL CD-ROM no. 9 pt. 208.
- [Austin] Galau, Jeane K. The Austin Family of Montgomery County, Maryland and Ohio County, Kentucky: With Related Lines. 3 vols. Menasha, Wisc.: J.K. Galau, 1978-1979. FHL Book 929.273 Au76, 3 volumes.
- [Baker] Hurley, William Neal. Baker Families of Maryland. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 2001. FHL Book 929.273 B167Hwn.
- [Chilton] Dorman, John Frederick. "The Chilton Families of Virginia and Maryland," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1967):71-78; Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1967):121-125; Vol. 11, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1967):167-174; Vol. 12, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1968):15-18; Vol. 12, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1968):83-86; Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):109-113; Vol. 12, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1968):169-175; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1969):32-36; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1969):65-71; Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1969):177-180; Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1970):15-22; Vol. 14, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1970):75-82; Vol. 14, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1970):123-128; Vol. 14, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1970):165-168; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1971):32-41; Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1971):122-124; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1971):259-264; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1972):301-306. To locate digital pages use search form at American Ancestors ($); first select Virginia Genealogist, The from the Database list. Then select Volume number. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 11-v. 16.
- [Hennage] Rubincam, Milton. "The Hennage Family of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 19, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1975):163-169. To locate digital pages use search form at American Ancestors ($); first select Virginia Genealogist, The from the Database list. Then select Volume number. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 19 (1975).
- [Miles] Hurley, William Neal. Our Maryland Heritage, Book Thirteen, Miles Families, Primarily of Montgomery County, Maryland, But Including Members of the Family Found in Other Counties of Maryland and Elsewhere. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 1999.
- [Rawlins] Lancaster, Jeannie. "Rawlins Family," Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Fall 2006):57-67.
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. "Intercepted Letters Relating to America 1777-1811," The Genealogist, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Fall 2000):184-200; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Spring 2001):53-74. [Overseas correspondence of residents of Georgetown with the following surnames: Beatty, Deakins, Forrest, Johns, Levy, Magruder, Mason, and Stoddert.]
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Montgomery County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Montgomery County Deed Books (1777-present) have been uploaded to their website: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Montgomery County on page 127.]
The 1778 Oath of Fidelity lists for Montgomery County have been published in:
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. Revolutionary Records of Maryland. Washington, D.C.: R.H. Darby Print., 1924. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Montgomery County, pp. 152-153. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Maryland, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- Montgomery County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
Online Probate Records
- 1604 – 1878 Maryland Wills and Probate Records 1604-1878 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1635 – 1743 Maryland Calendar of Wills 1635-1743 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1796 – 1940 Maryland Probate Estate and Guardianship Files , 1796-1940 at FamilySearch images
- Andersen, Patricia Abelard. “Research in Montgomery County.” Maryland Genealogical Society Journal 51, no. 2 (2010): 207-217.
- Cook, Eleanor M. V. Guide to the Records of Montgomery County, Maryland: Genealogical and Historical. Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1989.
- 1733 - Russell, Donna Valley. "1733 Taxables," Western Maryland Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 3 (July 1987):99-103.
- 1783 - Montgomery County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- 1658 - 1940 Maryland County Marriages, 1658-1940 at FamilySearch — index
- 1666 - 1970 Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898 - 1944 Maryland Death Index 1898-1944
Societies and Libraries
1150 Carnation Dr.
Jane C. Sween Research Library
42 W. Middle Lane
Rockville, MD 20850
The Montgomery County Archives
8540 Anniversary Circle
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Phone: 301-926-5002 or 301-340-282
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Montgomery County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc)
- The Montgomery County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Montgomery Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Montgomery County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog, Montgomery County.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Montgomery, Maryland page 318, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.