Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Morehouse Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Morehouse Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 25, 1844|
|Address|| 100 East Madison|
Bastrop LA 71220
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biography
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Morehouse Parish Courthouse
125 E Madison Street
Bastrop, LA 71221
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1870,
land records from 1844 and cemetery abstract 1867-1957 .
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1870 Some courthouse records lost.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Ashley County, Arkansas
- Chicot County, Arkansas
- Union County, Arkansas
- West Carroll
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Morehouse Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Morehouse Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Morehouse Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Morehouse Parish Census Data|
- Morehouse Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Morehouse Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Pre-1908 - Search for Louisiana BLM Land Records (RootsWeb)
- Morehouse Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Morehouse Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish History (LAGenWeb)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Morehouse Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company B
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company F
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Morehouse Parish News Articles (USGenWeb Archives)
- Articles of historical interest from Morehouse Newspapers (LAGenWeb Project)
- Morehouse Parish Newspaper Gleanings (Genealogy Trails)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Morehouse Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Morehouse Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Morehouse Parish Obituaries (LAGenWeb Project)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1897 Commencement Morehouse High School (LAGenWeb Project)
- Morehouse Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish Schools (LAGenWeb Project)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Morehouse Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1875 - Index to Morehouse Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 Mortality Schedule, Morehouse Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Morehouse Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Morehouse Parish Websites
- Morehouse Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Morehouse Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Morehouse Parish Archives (USGenWeb Archives)
- Morehouse Parish, Louisiana (LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project)
- Morehouse Economic Development Corp.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Morehouse Parish Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Morehouse Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- LAGenWeb Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives USGenWeb Archives Project
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Morehouse Parish, Louisiana p 291 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.