Nantglyn, Denbighshire Genealogy
"NANTGLYN (NANT-GLYN), a parish in the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (S.W.) from Denbigh, containing 391 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on a branch of the river Clwyd, nearly in the centre of the county, extends almost seven miles in length, and four miles and a half in breadth, comprising an area of 5600 acres, of which 3460 are common or waste. The scenery is agreeably diversified, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature; the views are confined towards the south and west by loft hills. ..... The church, dedicated to S. James, is not marked by any architectural details of importance. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. ...Mr David Samuel, who sailed with Captain Cook, a surgeon in the ship "Discovery", and was an eye witness of his death, of which he wrote an interesting account, printed in the Biographica Britannica, was a native of this place." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]'
"NANTGLYN, a village and a parish in Ruthin district, Denbighshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Clwyd, 4 miles S W by S of Denbigh r. station; and has a post-office under Denbigh, and a fair on 27 Oct. The parish contains the townships of Blaunan, Gwllwm, Plas, and Hendre. Acres, 5, 600. Real property, £1, 497. Pop., 320. Houses, 77." [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, John Marius Wilson]
For more information on Nantglyn see:
- Nantglyn at Genuki
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 104273.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Nantglyn at Vision of Britain