|The Netherlands Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for the Netherlands is Daniel Jones.
This page lists websites and online resources for genealogy in the Netherlands. Where possible English versions of websites have been given, but many come in Dutch or Frisian only. It is recommended to use Google Chrome and Google Translate for these websites. Some common Dutch terms encountered on websites are given at the bottom of this page.
- 1 WieWasWie
- 2 Open Archives
- 3 Family Search
- 4 Zoekakten
- 5 Geneaknowhow and Van Papier Naar Digitaal
- 6 Directories
- 7 Online Trees and Forums
- 8 Cemeteries and Death Notices
- 9 Blogs, Magazines and Societies
- 10 Miscellaneous Web Sites
- 11 National, Provincial and Regional Websites
- 12 Dutch Vocabulary List
WieWasWie is the premier site for Netherlands genealogy and also for former Dutch colonies. Most of the site is free, but it costs 18.50 euros for advanced features. It contains indexes to civil registration from every part of the Netherlands. By now nearly all marriage records up to 1932 are online, as well as a sizable proportion of death records to 1962 and birth records to 1912. It also has some church records, population registers, military conscription records and newspaper notices. Many records also have the original image. 110 Million names are online as of December 2015.
Open Archives is now posed as a rival to WieWasWie. It has 141 million records online, with most records on WieWasWie also on Open Archives.
Family Search has built up a large collection of Netherlands records, most of which are online. Civil registration and church records should be viewed via Zoekakten(see below). The following collections exist that cannot be viewed via Zoekakten.
- Netherlands, Bibliothèque Wallonne, Card Indexes, ca. 1500-1858. Abstracts of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and memberships from French Protestant parish registers from Belgium, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. Card index. Incomplete.
- Netherlands, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1910. FamilySearch Historical Records. Indexed. Incomplete.
- Netherlands, Marriages, 1565-1892. FamilySearch Historical Records. Indexed. Incomplete
- Netherlands, Deaths and Burials, 1668-1945. FamilySearch Historical Records. Indexed. Incomplete.
- Zoekakten allows easier access to images of records found on FamilySearch.org for the Netherlands and Belgium. It breaks down films into smaller time periods and into different record types for easier browsing. Search by province, then place or municipality. This site is particularly useful for records that are not yet on WieWasWie and those that are but whose images are not available on WieWasWie.
Geneaknowhow and Van Papier Naar Digitaal
- Geneaknowhow.net Digital Resources includes a directory of genealogical resources, research tips, maps, and other reference material for research in Belgium and the Netherlands. Basic instructions in English are available. To get to the digital sources, click on the folder titled “Digital Resources Netherlands and Belgium”. The left-hand navigation bar includes general information, passenger lists, and then names each province in both countries with the sections:”Internet” [lists links to various internet resources for towns in this province] and “disk/cd-r” [material available on diskettes or CD-Rom, either free or for purchase]. So-called “bulletin-board systems” are listed below. Abbreviations are explained under “Explanations” on the bottom of the left-hand bar.
- Van Papier Naar Digitaal is a subsidiary of Geneaknowhow. It contains images and indexes of Church Records and other pre-1811 sources such as censuses, resident lists and tax records.
These websites try to list all every website that has information relevant to genealogical research in the Netherlands.
- Stamboom Gids, a sister project of Genealogie Online
- Genealogie Werkbalk, a all-in-one search engine that searches many different websites at once. The actual program has to be downloaded first. Also a sister project of Genealogie Online
- Genealogy Links
- Genealogy in Netherlands Provinces
Online Trees and Forums
Only sites specific to The Netherlands and Belgium are included. Most are free and can be searched by anyone, but require registration to add people and trees.
- Genealogie Online, also has this page on the wiki.
- Genealogie Online English version
- Stamboom Forum is a sister project of Genealogie Online and a online discussion forum.
- Digitale Stamboom
- Digitale Stamboom (English version)
- Stamboom Zoeker Person search
- Stamboom Online Family Trees
- Voorouders.net Links to family trees and regional records
Cemeteries and Death Notices
- Graftombe.nl, a site with cemetery records from all over the Netherlands.
Blogs, Magazines and Societies
- Dutch Genealogy Blog is a very popular English language blog for Dutch genealogy that has been running since 1993. Informative articles on many subjects can be found.
- Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie (English version) is the government department responsible for Genealogy. They have a search engine with various records. For payment you can view Family Newspaper notices and the Population register records of people who have died between 1939 and 2013.
- Dutch Genealogical Society - for this site you have to register
- Ons Voor Geslacht is another prominent genealogical society. Their subsidiary Hogenda has various transcriptions to pre-1811 records.
- Web site of the Holland Society of New York
- Veluwse Genealogical Society. The “Veluwe” is a district that includes the following municipalities: Apeldoorn, Arnhem, Barneveld, Brummen, Ede, Elburg, Epe, Ermelo, Harderwijk, Hattem, Heerde, Hoevelaken, Nunspeet, Nijkerk, Oldebroek, Putten, Renkum, Rheden, Rozendaal, Scherpenzeel, Voorst en Wageningen. The society has published extensively.
- Jewish Genealogical Society of the Netherlands
- Genealogie Gazet, an online magazine and sister to Genealogie Online.
Miscellaneous Web Sites
Other genealogical websites in the Netherlands include. Most of these are free sites.
- VOC (Dutch East India Company) section of National Archives Information on people sailing with the East India Company
- 11,000 Netherlands Naturalizations
- Phone Directories
To find more genealogical websites in the Netherlands, try this website: Genealogie in Nederlandse provinciën.
National, Provincial and Regional Websites
- Portal to city, state, and other archives Archivenet
This table shows the main website for different regions.
|Alkmaar||Regionaal Archief Alkmaar|
|Haarlem||no WieWasWie equivalent|
|Waterland||no WieWasWie equivalent|
|Amsterdam||church records only at Stadsarchief Amsterdam|
||Erfgoed Leiden en omstreken|
| Rijnlands Midden
||Streekarchief Rijnlands Midden|
| Midden Holland
|| Streekarchief Midden Holland|
|| Rotterdam Stadsarchief|
|| Delft Archief|
| Den Haag
|| Haags Archief|
|| Regionaal Archief Dordrecht|
|| Het Utrechts Archief|
|| Gelders Archief|
See the page Netherlands City Archives for details of provincial, regional and city archives in the Netherlands and their websites.
Dutch Vocabulary List
This list includes words and phrases used on commonly used Dutch genealogical websites. It is not a substitute for a dictionary, but should help the user successfully negotiate the World Wide Web in search of family history information.
Aanmelden- Log in as a registered visitor
Bestellen- To order
Bezoekers forum- Visitors= forum
Bidprentjes- Funeral cards
Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie- Central Office for Genealogy
Digitale stamboom- Digital pedigree
Discussie- Discussion forum
Familie advertenties- Family newspaper clippings
Familie dossiers- Family files
Familie drukwerk- Family publication
Familie geschiedenis- Family history
Familie wapens- Family crests
Inschrijven- Register as a new visitor
Laatste nieuws- Latest news
Leenregisters- Land records Lijst genealogische onderzoekers- list of professional researchers
Lopend onderzoek- Continuing research [online addresses of researchers willing to exchange information]
Naamsaanneming- Records dealing with taking on a fixed surname
Nieuwe uitgaven- New editions
Onderwijs - Instruction
Overige adressen- Other addresses
Overzicht site- Site overview
Persoonskaarten, persoonslijsten- cards and lists of individuals who died since 1938
Postadres- Mailing address
Reeks- en onderzoeksgidsen- Source- and research guides
Regiogemeenten- Regional communities
Stamboom onderzoek- Pedigree research
Tarieven- Price list for charges
Trefwoord- Search term
Veel voorkomende vragen- Frequently asked questions
Verstrekking- Delivery of information
Verwante wetenschapen- Related sciences
Vrienden- Friends (members of the CBG)
Zoek resultaat- Search results
Zoek vraag- Query