Nevada, Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Nevada, United States|
|Flag of Nevada|
|Location of Nevada|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection includes an index to marriages from the Nevada State Health Division, Office of Vital Records for the years1956 to 2005.
The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Nevada marriages, click here.
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
The index may include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How Do I Search the Collection?
When searching the index it is helpful to know:
- The names of the bride and groom.
- The marriage place.
- The marriage date.
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page:
Fill in the requested information on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor in the marriage index, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the information found in the marriage index to obtain the actual marriage record.
- Use the information found in the marriage index to search for the family in additional state and county records.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names. Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records. Search the indexes and records of nearby counties. Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Nevada, Marriage Records items in the FamilySearch Catalog.|
Citing this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. From "Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005." Index. Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2007. Citing Nevada State Health Division, Carson City, and Clark County Marriage Bureau, Las Vegas.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005.|
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.