Nevada County, California Genealogy
|Nevada County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||April 25, 1851|
|County Seat||Nevada city|
|Address|| Nevada County Courthouse|
950 Maidu Ave
Nevada City, CA 95959
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Bible Records
- 7 Biography
- 8 Cemeteries
- 9 Census
- 10 Church History and Records
- 11 Court Records
- 12 Crime and Criminals
- 13 Directories
- 14 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 15 Gazetteers
- 16 Genealogy
- 17 History
- 18 Land and Property
- 19 Maps
- 20 Migration
- 21 Military History and Records
- 22 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 23 Newspapers
- 24 Obituaries
- 25 Periodicals
- 26 Probate Records
- 27 Repositories
- 28 Societies
- 29 Taxation
- 30 Vital Records
- 31 Voting Registers
- 32 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 33 Web Sites
- 34 References
Nevada County, California Record Dates
Nevada County Courthouse
950 Maidu Ave
Nevada City, CA 95959
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1873
marriage and land records from 1856
probate and court records from 1880
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1856 and 1863: Courthouse burned twice and many records were damaged.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See California Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Nevada County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Grass Valley
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Nevada County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Truckee (River) Trail 1844 crossed the Forty Mile Desert to the Truckee River to follow it west past Reno, Nevada to Donner Pass to Emigrant Gap to Sutter's Fort (Sacramento, California). The exact route varied over the years, the most used being the Nevada City Road and Auburn Emigrant Road combination.
- Roller Pass 1846 alternate to the Truckee Trail two miles south of Donner Pass through Emigrant Gap to Placerville, California
- Nevada City Road 1850 branched off the Truckee Trail through Emigrant Gap to Nevada City, California the most important mining area 1850-1851
- Auburn Emigrant Road 1850 believed to be from Nevada City to Auburn to Sacramento, California
- Henness Pass Road 1850 branched off the Truckee Trail at Verdi, Nevada headed for Camptonville and steamboat service at Marysville, California. In 1860 it became a major route to the Comstock Lode silver mines in Nevada.
Military History and Records
Regiments. Service men in Nevada County, California Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Nevada County, California Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company G
- - 4th Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company I
- - 5th Regiment, California Infantry (Union), Company C
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nevada County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Reno, Nevada newspapers going back to 1870 that may include residents from Nevada County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Nevada County Genealogical Society
PO Box 176
Cedar Ridge, CA 95924
Nevada County Historical Society
P.O. Box 1300
Nevada City 95959
Truckee-Donner Historical Society
P.O. Box 893
Truckee, CA. 96160
Doris Foley Library for Historical Research
211 N. Pine Street
Nevada City, CA 95959
Open Wed - Sat 10-4
- Nevada County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Nevada County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nevada County, California. Page 86 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).