New Jersey For Further Reading
From FamilySearch Wiki
|New Jersey Wiki Topics|
|New Jersey Background|
|Local Research Resources|
For sources of information about research and records in New Jersey not already mentioned, refer to:
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. 3rd ed. Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry. Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.
- Epperson, Gwenn F. New Netherland Roots. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. FHL Book 974.7 D27e. Discusses and quotes examples from passenger lists, early government records, marriage registers, church records, and court records of New Netherland. Also discusses early Dutch, German, Belgian, French, and Scandinavian sources.
- Guzik, Estelle M., ed. Genealogical Resources in the New York Metropolitan Area. New York: Jewish Genealogical Society, 1989. FHL Book Reference 974.1 A3ge; Fiche 6100654. Describes collections in government repositories and major libraries in the city of Trenton and Bergen, Essex, and Hudson counties. Includes name, place, and subject indexes.
- Joslyn, Roger D. “New Jersey.” In Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, rev. ed., edited by Alice Eichholtz, 498-511. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992. FHL book 973 D27rb 1992. Discusses history, vital records, censuses, background sources, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, immigration, and county resources.
- New Jersey Bureau of Archives and History. Genealogical Research: A Guide to Source Materials in the Archives and History Bureau of the New Jersey State Library. Trenton, N.J.: Genealogical Society of New Jersey, 1971. FHL Fiche 6051295. This 36-page guide contains very helpful information about the records at the state archives. Contains information on the creation of New Jersey counties and detailed descriptions of more then 20 major types of New Jersey records, such as births, marriages, deaths, and so on.
- Stryker-Rodda, Kenn. New Jersey: Digging for Ancestors in the Garden State. 1970. Detroit, Mich.: Detroit Society for Genealogical Research, 1984. FHL Book 974.9 A1 no. 2. This was published from a talk given about the history of New Jersey and resulting records, including a 14-page bibliography of genealogical sources.