New York, United States Genealogy
United States New York
|New York Wiki Topics|
|New York Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to New York ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
New York Information
New York is a state in the northeast part of the United States. It is divided into 62 counties.
Getting Started with New York Research
Links to articles on getting started with New York research.
New York Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in New York research.
New York Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
New York Migration Routes
Ellis Island, Castle Garden, etc. · Atlantic Coast Ports · Lake Champlain · Lake Erie · Lake Ontario · Long Island Sound · Hudson River · Mohawk River · St. Lawrence River · Chambly Canal · Champlain Canal · Delaware and Raritan Canal ·  · Albany Post Road · Catskill Turnpike · Forbidden Path · Great Genesee Road · Great Shamokin Path · Greenwood Road · Hudson River Path · King's Highway · Boston Post Road · Lake Champlain Trail · Lake Shore Path · Lehigh and Lackawanna Paths · Minsi Path · Mohawk or Iroquois Trail · New York Turnpikes · Old Connecticut Path
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- York Family History Center locator map
- Cyndi's List - New York genealogy sites on the internet
- New York Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of New York
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for New York
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for New York genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for New York
- New York Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- New York State Health Department Vital Records for obtaining births, marriages, and deaths outside New York City 1881-present; and all divorces after 1963; and adoption records.