Llannewydd, Carmarthenshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Newchurch, Carmarthenshire)
Jump to: navigation, search

Wales Gotoarrow.png Carmarthenshire Gotoarrow.png Carmarthenshire Parishes Gotoarrow.pngNewchurch

History

"NEWCHURCH, or LLAN-NEWYDD, a parish, in the lower division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N.W. by N.) from Carmarthen; containing 867 inhabitants. . . The parish is situated on the banks of the river Gwili, and on the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Newcastle-Emlyn, and comprises a large extent of arable and pasture land, which is fertile and in a good state of cultivation. The court leet for the hundred is held under Earl Cawdor, at Bwlch Newydd, in the parish. . . The church, which was entirely rebuilt in 1829, is a remarkably neat edifice; and there are place of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. About 50 males and females are taught in a Sunday school belonging to the Established Church, and about 60 in one appertaining to Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).] For more information see Newchurch, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk


Records


Civil Registration


Church Records


Census Records


Probate Records


Maps and Gazetteers


Websites