Newton (Manchester) Lancashire St Anne
Newton Heath St Anne is one of three chapelries in Newton Heath Newton All Saints, Lancashire in the Diocese of Manchester.
Records for All Saints Parish Church date back to 1655. There is an ancient chapelry mentioned as far back as 1573 when Bishop Bridgman made an order in respect of maintenance for a curate. The current church was erected in 1814 under an Act of Parliament. At this time the district of the chapelry changed and included Newton (Newton Heath), Failsworth, Droylsden, Bradford and part of Moston. This coninued until the passing of the Rectorial Act when these places were separated and became parishes. In 1997 the parish united with St. Wilfred and St. Anne's to form the parish of Newton Heath.
Newton Heath St Anne began as a chapelry and in 1883 was an Ecclesiatical parish.
The church closed in 1973.
Newton Heath is a township and ecclesiastical parish, within the parish and parliamentary borough, but not within the boundary of Manchester, situated to the east of that city in the union of Prestwich, and county court district of Manchester, rural deanery of Cheetham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway passes through the township and one of its stations (Miles Platting) is within it’s limits. The Rochdale Canal passes it, and the river Medlock is on the south. There is a local board of health. In Gastreil’s “Notitia Cestriensis” it is stated that Peter de Gresley was patron of the rectory of Manchester in 1276, and that in 1322 the church was valued at 200 marks, the endowment consisting of 8 burgesses in Manchester, and the towns of Newton and Kirkmanshulme, with the meadows, pastures and appurtenances. At an early period the Byrons of Clayton held very large possessions in Newton, of the De La Warres: but the manor subsequently became vested in the wardens and fellows of the collegiate church, to whom it still belongs. The parish of Manchester is into six parts or divisions namely, Manchester, Salford, Newton, Withington, Blakely and Stretford: each of these divisions took a certain range; the third district consisted of Newton, Kirkmanshulme, Bradford, Openshawe, Gorton and the two Ardwickes; in the course of years, these small chapels being found inadequate, were superseded by others of greater capacity. The chapel of Newton is mentioned in 1573, and we find Bishop Bridgman, in the reign of James I, making an order respecting the maintenance of a curate; in 1650, and afterwards, the inhabitants taking the matter into their own hands appointing Mr. John Walker “to preach the gospel” at a salary of £40 per annum at the same time withholding from wardens and fellows the tithes amounting to £10. The particulars of this contest are to be found at greater length in Lamb MSS., vol. 2 to determine what endowments (if any) belonged to this ancient chapelry. In 1788, the chapel is again mentioned as requiring and undergoing enlargement, and this appears to have sufficed until the present edifice was erected, under an Act of Parliament obtained in 1814. At this later period the district of the chapelry had become changed, and then consisted of Newton, Failsworth, Droylsdcn, Bradford, and part of Moston; in this state it continued until tine passing of the late Sir Robert Peel’s Rectorial Act, when all these places were separated from it, and were constituted parishes; in 1854 the present ecclesiastical parish was formed. The church of All Saints is a substantial Gothic stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and square tower containing 1 bell, and contains a magnificent stained window, the gift of James Taylor, esq., of Newton; there are 1,000 seats, 350 of which are free. The register commences in 1723. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Manchester, and held by the Rev. William Hutchinson B.D., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Connected with the church are two Sunday and Day schools: the average number of children attending these schools is - Sunday 1,100, week-day 600. There are also chapels for Wesleyan Methodists, Methodists, and the Methodist New Connexion. The Phillips Park Cemetery, in this parish, situated at the junction of Bradford road and Hulme Hall lane, is very extensive and beautifully situated, and was opened in 1866: it comprises about 45 acres, of which 21 are consecrated: there are three very handsome chapels for the Church of England, Roman Catholics and Protestant Dissenters; the grounds are planted with trees and shrubs; Albert Jarrett is registrar, and the Rev. William Hutton, B.A., is chaplain. Newton contains several large silk mills, the most extensive of which is Harrop, Taylor and Pearson’s who employ about 3,000 hands; there are also cotton mills, and several large manufacturing chemists, and dye and bleach works. Newton presents few standing evidences of antiquity, except Culcheth Hall, formerly the residence of a family of the local name, one of the last of which was Byron Culcheth, who died in 1621; the estate, having been acquired by the Byrons of Clayton, was sold by Sir John Byron, of Royton, to John Whitworh of Newton. At the close of the seventeenth century it had passed into the hands of the Greaves of Manchester, and was in the possession of Edward Greaves esq., high sheriff in 1812. The Hall, as from time to time repaired and modernized, is standing, but all that remains of the structure is a wainscoted room. The area of the township is 1,585 acres; and the population in 1871 was 19,446.”
From Kelly’s 1873 Directory of Manchester
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop's Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Parish registers for St. Anne's Church, Newton (near Manchester), 1876-1950 Microfilm copy of original registers filmed and formerly held at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
Newton is also known as Newton-Heath. Newton is a suburb, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Manchester parish and district.
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: M148/1/23/1-4, M148/1/24/1-5, M148/1/2/1-3.
| Baptisms, 1876-1931. Marriages, 1883-July 1887.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2357358 Items 3 - 7
| Marriages, July 1887-January 1940.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
| Marriages, January 1940-1944.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2357360 Item 1
| Banns of marriages, 1883-April 1905.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2357396 Item 9
| Banns of marriages, November 1904-1950.
|| VAULT BRITISH Film |
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Newton Heath- St Anne
Banns-1904-1950- MFPR 3015
Baptisms-1876-1926- MFPR 1642 or MFPR 2093
Baptisms-1926-1931- MFPR 1643 or MFPR 2093
Baptisms-1931-1972- MFPR 1643
Marriages-1883-1887- MFPR 1644 or MFPR 2093
Marriages-1887-1920- MFPR 1644
Marriages-1920-1964- MFPR 1645
Marriages-1964-1971- Archives M148
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the FamilySearch Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
England Jurisdictions 1851
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.