Newton County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Newton County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Newton County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 24, 1821|
|Address|| Newton County Courthouse|
113 Usher Street
Covington, GA 30014
Newton County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Newton County, Georgia Record Dates
Clerk of Superior Court
1132 Usher St., Rm 338
Covington, GA 30014
Phone: (770) 784-2035
Fax: (770) 385-8930
Probate Court of Newton County
1132 Usher Street, Room 148
Covington, GA 30014
Phone: (770) 784-2045
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Georgia Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- G. H. P. Noah Phillips of Newton County, GA. and Litchfield, Conn. His Ancestors and Descendants. Covington, Georgia. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Newton County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia Military - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Newton County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Newton County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 3rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 18th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 35th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 42nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies E and F
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies B and E
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - The USGenWeb Archives Project - Georgia
- Bowen, Rhoda Anne, and Freda R. Turner. 1992. Georgia confederate soldier obituaries: Henry, Newton, and Rockdale counties, 1879-1943. Alpharetta, GA: WH Wolfe Associates. 975.8 V4b digital version
- Newton County Historical Society (Georgia). 1988. A History of Newton County, Georgia. Covington, Georgia: Newton County Historical Society (GA). (page 235-281) 975.8593 H2h
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Newton County). 1963. Confederate roster, 1861-1865; Confederate pension rolls, 1890-1929. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 325767
- Georgia. 1963. Inferior Court minutes, sitting for County purposes, 1841-1874. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. (United States, Georgia, Newton -- Military records -- Civil War, 1861-1865.)325799
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Newton County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Newton County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
OnlColonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
ine Probate Records
- 1742 - 1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1823 - 1971 - Newton County Georgia list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - free
- 1742 - 1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch images
- 1820 - 1851 - Wills, Book A (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1851 - 1870 - Wills, Book B (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1771 - 1896 - Wills, Book C (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1888 - 1904 Births 1888-1904 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1824 - 1850 - Marriages 1824-1850 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1822 - 1867 - Newton County Marriage Index 1822-1867. Batch M713451 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1850 - 1865 - Newton County Marriage Index 1850-1865. Batch M713452 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852 - 1869 - Newton County Marriage Index 1852-1869. Batch M713453 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866 - 1875 - Newton County Marriage Index 1866-1875. Batch M713454 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - 1894 - Newton County Marriage Index 1874-1894. Batch M713455 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894 - 1895 - Newton County Marriage Index 1894-1895. Batch M713456 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - 1886 - Marriages from newspapers, 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Newton County Historical Society
2100 Washington Street
PO Box 2415
Covington, GA 30210
East Georgia Genealogical Society
PO Box 117
Winder, GA 30680
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Newton County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Newton County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Newton County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 46. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.