North Carolina, United States Genealogy
United States North Carolina
|North Carolina Wiki Topics|
|North Carolina Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
North Carolina Information
North Carolina is a state located in the eastern portion of the United States. It is divided into 100 counties. North Carolina was the 12 state to join the Union on November 21, 1789. It was formed from the Crown Colony of North Carolina. The State Capital is Raleigh. 
Getting Started with North Carolina Research
Links to articles on getting started with North Carolina research.
North Carolina Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in North Carolina research.
North Carolina Clickable Map
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties gone to Tennessee or Virginia: State of Franklin · Blount · Caswell (TN) · Davidson (TN) · Fincastle (VA) · Greene (TN) · Hawkins · Sevier · Spencer · Sullivan · Sumner · Tennessee · Washington (old) · Wayne (TN)
North Carolina Migration Routes
Atlantic Coast Ports · Black Fox Trail · Catawba and Northern Trail · Catawba Trail · Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad · Fall Line Road Southern Road · Fayetteville, Elizabethtown, and Wilmington Trail · Great Valley Road · Jonesboro Road · King's Highway · Lower Cherokee Traders' Path · New River and Southern Trail · Occaneechi Path · Old Cherokee Path · Rutherford's War Trace · Secondary Coast Road · Unicoi Trail · Upper Road · Wilmington, Highpoint, and Northern Trail
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
- Cyndi's List - North Carolina genealogy sites on the internet
- North Carolina Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of North Carolina
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for North Carolina
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for North Carolina genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for North Carolina
- North Carolina Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Guide To Research Materials In the North Carolina State Archives 379 page county record inventory. Lists county formation date, courthouse disasters, record types (bonds, corporate, court, election, estate, land, marriage, roads, tax, wills), dates covered, if a book, boxed, or filmed.
- North Carolina Blacksheep Ancestors, NC prisoners, outlaws, court records, and executions.
- DigitalNC Collection: North Carolina's Digital Heritage
- Every Name Index
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.