Norton Canes, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Norton Canes, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norton Canes, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Penkridge|
|Parish registers: 1566|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1659|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Hansacre and Armitage|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK, or Norton-Canes, a village and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, near the S side of Cannock Chase, 1¾ mile E by S of Wyrley r. station, 2¼ N W of the Wyrley and Essington canal, 2¾ W N W of Brownhills r. station, and 5¾ N of Walsall.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Norton Canes parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NORTON CANES PARISH Online Records|
Clayhanger Primitive Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CLAYHANGER PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (1849) Online Records|
Trinity Primitive Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TRINITY PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (1862) Online Records|
|FREG|| 1862-1892, 1938-1945
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Norton Canes, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474615.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;st=Norton%20Canes
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8