Norwich St Peter Mancroft, Norfolk Genealogy
|Norwich St Peter Mancroft, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1625|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St Peter Mancroft is Ancient parish within the city and Diocese of Norwich.
It is the largest parish church in the city. It was founded possibly by Ralph de Guader, the earl of Norfolk shortly after 1066 as one of the three churches in the new ‘French Borough’ (the others were St Stephen and St Giles). The original church appears to have had a central tower. The present building was erected between 1430 and 1455. The wealth of the parish is shown by the fact that it is entirely faced with freestone, and flint is used only for flushwork. It retains its medieval appearance externally with the exception of the top of the tower: the spire, ‘pepperpots’ at the corners, and zig-zag parapet were added in 1895.
Norwich St Peter Mancroft, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Peter Mancroft, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Civil Registration Districts
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
•Vision of Britain
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.