Oakham, Rutland Genealogy
Guide to Oakham, Rutland ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Oakham|
|Parish registers: 1564|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1707|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Rutland Record Office|
OAKHAM, or Okeham (All Saints), a market town and parish, and the head of a union, in the soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, of which it is the chieftown, 95 miles (N. N. W.) from London. At Egleton is a chapel of ease; and there are places of worship in the town for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Oakham, market town, par., and county town of Rutland, 13½ miles W. of Stamford and 96 miles from London by rail - par., 3130 ac., pop. 3227; town (comprising the townships of Oakham Deanshold and Oakham Lordshold), pop. 3204; P.O., T.O. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. Oakham is situated in the fine vale of Catmose, and is a healthy and well kept town. Its trade is chiefly in coal, corn, and malt; while there are considerable mfrs. of boots and shoes, and fancy hosiery. Brewing is also carried on. Oakham is the assize town of Rutland.
The Victoria County History of Oakham (1935) is available. It includes a history of the manor, church, advowson, and charities.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Oakham, Rutland Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC BTs = Northamptonshire, England, Baptisms (Ancestry) - £|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Oakham, Rutland Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Diocese of Peterborough : Oakham Bap 1564 - 1952 Marr 1564 - 1978 (Banns to 1980) Bur 1564 - 1894
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474578.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Rutland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- Bartholomew,, John, Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- A History of the County of Rutland, Volume 2 (1935). A History of the County of Rutland. Adapted. Date accessed: 05 December 2013.
- 'Northamptonshire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1912', Ancestry, accessed 5 March 2015.
- 'Northamptonshire, England, Burials, 1813-1912', Ancestry, accessed 5 March 2015.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Rutland, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 April 2014.