Odd Rode, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Odd Rode, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Odd Rode, Cheshire|
|Poor Law Union||Congleton|
|Parish registers: 1572; Separate registers exist for Mossley Holy Trinity beginning 1845 and also for Odd Rode beginning 1809 and also for Somerford beginning 1691|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1593|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
ODD-RODE All Saints, or sometimes called Rode, is a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry in Astbury parish, Cheshire. The hamlet lies on the Macclesfield canal, and on the North Staffordshire railway, under Mowcop mountain, it is ½ a mile S by W of Mowcop railway station, 1 miles W of the boundary with Staffordshire, and 3½ miles S S W of Congleton. The township contains also the hamlets of Rode-Heath, Scholar-Green, Kent-Green, Thurlwood, and Hall-Green, and part of the village of Mowcop; and its post town is Lawton, under Stoke-on-Trent. The chapelry is somewhat less extensive than the township, and a chapel of ease was built by the year 1808--when its church registers commence; it was constituted a chapelry in 1860. The Wesleyan chapels are at Hall-Green and Mowcop.
The ecclesiastical parish of Odd Rode was created in 1864 when the Wilbraham Family of Rode Hall completed All Saints Church in Scholar Green. The parish became a civil administrative area shortly after but before this the area formed part of the ancient and large parish of Astbury. Chapel registers commence from 1809.
Odd Rode is a township in Astbury Parish, Northwich Hundred, and includes the hamlets of The Bank, Boarded Barn, Brake Village, Cinder Hill, Firclose, Hall Green (part), Kent Green, Little Moss (part), Mount Pleasant, Mow Cop (partly in Staffordshire), Mow Hollow, Old House Green, Pat Bank, Rode Heath, Scholar Green, Spring Bank, Stone Chair, Towns End, Thurlwood, Whartons Pool.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241249.
Odd Rode All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Odd Rode All Saints Parish (1809) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1809-1903
|FS BT'S|| 1861-1901
Odd Rode St Thomas parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ODD RODE ST THOMAS PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Astbury, St. Mary (C of E). The ancient parish church for Odd Rode.
Odd Rode, All Saints (C of E). Founded 1851 as a chapel to Astbury, becoming the parish church for Odd Rode in 1860. Registers of Baptisms 1851–1903 and Marriages 1865–1952 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Burial registers from 1864 are held at the church.
Cheshire Record Office Call number: P26/1/1-3, P26/2/1-5.Odd Rode was a chapelry and township in the parish of Astbury. The chapel was known as All Saints'.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Content|
|Baptisms, 1808-1903.||BRITISH 1656489 Items 9 - 11|
|Marriages, 1865-1907.||BRITISH 1656490 Items 1 - 2|
|Marriages, 1907-Apr. 1922.||BRITISH 2197435 Item 13|
|Marriages, Apr. 1922-1952.||BRITISH 2197436 Items 1 - 2|
Bishop's Transcripts Formerly a chapelry in Astbury parish. The Church is known as All Saints.
Cheshire Record Office Call Number: EDB 160
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, burials, 1864-1884.||BRITISH 1647668 Item 2|
Odd Rode, St. Thomas (C of E). A former private chapel of the Wilbraham family. Registers of Baptisms 1809–1816 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office
Odd Rode (Mow Cop), St. Luke (C of E). Built in 1875 as a chapel to All Saints. Registers of Baptisms and Burials from 1875 and Marriages from 1920 are held at the church.
- Mow Cop, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1841, rebuilt in 1883, closed in 1964.
- Hall Green, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1874.
- Kent Green, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Founded 1873, Built in 1892.
- Thurlwood, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1885, closed in 1963.
- Mount Pleasant, Methodist Chapel (Free).
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire Central (1998+)
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Odd Rode on GENUKI
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date accessed: 2 April 2013
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.