Oneida County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Oneida County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Oneida County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Land and Property
- 4.14 Maps
- 4.15 Migration
- 4.16 Military History and Records
- 4.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.18 Newspapers
- 4.19 Obituaries
- 4.20 Periodicals
- 4.21 Probate Records
- 4.22 Repositories
- 4.23 Schools
- 4.24 Societies
- 4.25 Taxation
- 4.26 Vital Records
- 4.27 Voting Registers
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
Oneida County, Wisconsin Record Dates
Oneida County Courthouse
1 Courthouse Square
Rhinelander, WI 54501
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
- "History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin" (printed in 1925 . The beginning of the book is history of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas. The remaining 587 pages are biographies of those towns. You can search by surname)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1836-1905 - Various Wisconsin State Census Records and Links
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Church History and Records
- "Histories of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin" (printed in 1925, link to chapter 17. The beginning of the book is history of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas. The remaining 587 pages are biographies of those towns.)
Crime and Criminals
- Rhinelander and Oneida County (Wisconsin) directories 1921, 1927, 1930
- Oneida County Directory 1930 Including towns of Lake Tomahawk, Minocqua, Monica, Pelican Lake, Three Lakes and Woodruff
- Oneida County Directory 1914-1915 Town of Cassian through Town of Pelican
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Surnames List of Surnames with purpose to connect researches with common interests
- Oneida Books Books about Oneida County and the people who settled here.
- "History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"(printed in 1925 . The beginning of the book is history of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas. The remaining 587 pages are biographies of those towns. You can search by surname)
Land and Property
- Wisconsin Land Patents Database, Oneida County (USGenWeb Archives}
- "History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin" (printed in 1925). The beginning of the book is history of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas. The remaining 587 pages are biographies of those towns. You can search by surname.
- Old Antique Atlases and Maps of Wisconsin
- Towns and townships in Oneida County
- 1920's Oneida County Plat map
- 1895 Oneida County map
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- Wisconsin1901 county atlas
- Family Maps of Oneida County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
- Wisconsin Military Records and how Wisconsin was involved in the different wars of the World
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Contact information for The Lakeland Times, The Rhinelander Daily News, and Vilas County News Review. (all three have microfilmed archives to view at various Wisconsin libraries)
- Oneida County newspapers indexed from Guide to Wisconsin Newspapers-1833-1957 compiled by Donald E. Oehlerts. USGenWeb Archives
- Early Oneida Obits
- Selected Obituaries Scroll down to Obits. WIGenWeb Archives
- Robitindex Rhinelander area 1882-2006
- Three Lakes Genealogical Society Obituaries Project (ongoing)
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
- Minocqua Museum
- The History Center and Archives at Ashland (a branch of the Wisconsin Historical Society)
following three have a microfilm reader(all have newspapers for that area since the late 1800's)
- DEMMER LIBRARY
- MINOCQUA PUBLIC LIBRARY
- RHINELANDER DISTRICT LIBRARY
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- History of early schools in Oneida County Chapter 22.
Lakeland Area Genealogical Society
NORTHWOODS GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
Three Lakes Genealogical Society
Northland Historical Society
Rhinelander Historical Society
Woodruff Historical Society
- Oneida County Wisconsin registration of births, ca. 1887-1907 Index to Registrations of Births, 1852-1907" (arranged by birth date; fiche #6331476, 41 fiche). "Unedited Index to Registrations of Births, 1852-1907" (arranged in alphabetical order by surname.
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Oneida County Wisconsin registration of marriages, 1887-1907; index to marriages, 1887-1907
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Wisconsin Death Index 1959-1979 This is an online searchable microfiche index. The site includes directions on how to search this index.
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Oneida County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Oneida County WIGenWeb project
- Oneida County USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Oneida Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).