Online Parish Clerks for the County of Lancashire
The goal of the project is to assist researchers by providing, free of charge, general and genealogical data and records pertaining to the parishes of the old County of Lancashire. Information is provided by volunteers who use copies of the Parish Registers containing baptisms, marriages and burials.
The site contains brief historical data and photographs of the various parishes of the pre 1974 county of Lancashire. It also contains numerous records from a variety of sources including Parish Registers, Census Returns and Trade Directories. All information from these sources is extracted in full and where appropriate is also indexed for ease of use.
Information is organised by parish with a list of parishes available through the home page, providing links ot the individual parishes where the information available for each register may be viewed in full, or individual records found using the indexes.
A Search facility is also provided allowing a set of search criteria to be defined on a per church, per parish or whole county basis.
For each baptism, marriage or burial, the record contains:
- Name child, bride and groom, or the deceased.
- Date of the ceremony.
Depending on the information contained in the register, the record may also contain:
- Abode (residence).
- Names of parents.
- Cause of death.
- Family History Library microfilm number.
- Public Record Office (now the National Archives) reference number.
or search Google for online parish clerks Lancashire
How to use the site:
The site may be use simply to browse the information and records for a particular parish. Use the "Parishes in Lancashire" link in the Table of Contents to the left to view the Parish List, where supported parishes have a link. The "What's New" sections provides details of recently added records.
Within each parish, links are provided to pages displaying the list of available registers for each type of event. These pages provide links to allow each register to be viewed in full, or to indexes which allow individual names to found.
There is also Search facility which may be entered from the Home Page as follows:-
- Click Searchon the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down and click on a parish name.
- Type information into the search screen.
- Click Search.
- The parishes are those that existed in or about 1900. Not all parishes or chapelries have yet been covered by volunteers.
- This is an ongoing transcription project by volunteers, if the information you are seeking is not yet available, consider offering your services through the "Volunteer Opportunites" on the Home Page.