Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Onslow County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Onslow County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Directories
- 4.6 Education
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Migration
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 4.17 Wills
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Onslow County North Carolina
109 Old Bridge St Rm 107
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Register of Deeds has birth and death from 1914, marriage records from 1893
and land records from 1734, Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and
court records from from 1915 earlier records at Dept of Archives Raleigh, NC 27602
Register of Deeds 109 Old Bridge Street
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Clerk of Superior Court
625 Court St
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Telephone: (910) 478-3600
Visit the Onslow County Web Page to learn more.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1752, 1755, 1786--Storms destroyed many records.
- Onslow County cemeteries - via Onslow County NCGenWeb
- Onslow County Cemetery Transcription Index - more than 6,000 names recorded by James Michael Whaley
- Onslow County cemeteries - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Onslow County cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- New River. Established by 1758.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish. Established by 1741.
- Onslow County court information - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Onslow County business directory - area business information; via Onslow County NCGenWeb
- Onslow County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
"Tucker meticulously chronicled the history of coastal North Carolina and particularly Onslow County and the Swansboro area"--Foreword, v. 6:
- Littleton, Tucker Reed and Coastal Genealogical Society. The Tucker Littleton Notes. 10 vols. Swansboro, N.C.: Coastal Genealogical Society, 1998-2008. FHL Books 975.6 H29t v. 1 - 975.6 H29t v. 10
A county heritage book is available:
- Onslow County History Society. The Heritage of Onslow County, 1983. Winston-Salem, N.C.: Onslow County Historical Society in cooperation with Hunter Publishing Company, 1983. FHL Book 975.623 H2h
Compiled genealogies of several Onslow families were published in:
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines (Onslow County, North Carolina). 1976; reprint, Columbia, Md.: M.A. Stroscio, 1980. FHL Film 1033718 Item 8
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines - Andrews, Bishop, Burnett, Ennett, Fisher, Horne, King, Lane, Lloyd, Mason, McClammy, McDaniel, Redd, Sidbury, Stockley, Stroscio, Thompson, Triscuizzi, Walker (Onslow County, North Carolina). Raleigh, N.C.: M.A. Stroscio, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 Si13sm 1999; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Anderson - Wright, Carl V. The Doty/Andreson/Shepperd and Allied Families. Ganado, Texas: C.V. Wright, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 D742w
- Barber - Fountain, Alvin M. Family of Micah & Elizabeth Barber Children and Grandchildren, Onslow County, North Carolina. Raleigh, N.C.: A.M. Fountain, 1975. FHL Film 928044 Item 30
- Barber - Fountain, Alvin M. The Family of Mitch Barber and His Wife. Microfilmed 1997. FHL Film 1750833 Item 26.
- Buford - Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- Bumpus - Bumpus, Carle Franklin. Bompas, Bumpass, Bump, Bumpus and Allied Families, 1621-1985-- Supplement No. 1. Lady Lake, Fla.: C.F. Bumpus, 1989-1993, 1985. FHL Books 929.273 B88bc 1985 supp. 1, 929.273 B88bc 1993 supp. 1
- Clifton - Clifton, Harvey B. The Clifton Family: Descendants of William Clifton, A Revolutionary War Soldier. Daytona Beach, Fla.: H.B. Clifton, revised 1987, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 C613ch
- Duffy - Badgley, Azalea Green. Duffy Family Bible Records, ca. 1808-19__. Typescript. Donated 1945. FHL Film 1697360 Item 14
- Dulany - Scott, Mary Rebecca Dulany. Gone to Texas: A Compendium of the Dulany, Haddox, Heaton, Holland and Martin Families. Tomball, Texas: M.R.D. Scott, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 D886s
- Farr - Farr, Eugene. Farr and Near Farr: Descendants of Col. William Farr of Union County, South Carolina from 1735: (Allied Families: Alley, Bailey, Fowler, Garner, Glenn, Lipsey, Lowry, McDuff (McElduff), Stribling, Thomas and Many, Many Others). Chesterfield, Mo.: E. Farr, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F24fe
- Fountain - Fountain, Maxine Taylor, Marcia Taylor Fountain, and Alvin Marcus Fountain. The John R. Fountain Family of Onslow County, North Carolina: Being a Collection of Family Researches, Writings and References of Alvin Marcus Fountain and Some Sseventy Plus Other Members of the Family. Raleigh, N.C.: M.T. Fountain, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F825f
- Foyle - Magee, Zuma Fendlason and Aletha Barker Hamiter. Foyle (Foil) Genealogy. Franlinton, La.: Z.F. Magee, 1956. FHL Film 1008689 Item 4
- Hart - Peyton, Helen E. Some Early Pioneers of Western Kentucky, Their Ancestors and Descendants. Charleston, S.C.: H.E.H. Peyton, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H251p 1990
- Huffman - Huffman, Esker Aubrey. The Asa Huffman Family of Jasper County, Texas: A Genealogy and Family History from the Year 1371 to 2000. Costa Mesa, Calif.: E.A. Huffman, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 H872he
- King - Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- Middleton - Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL Book 973 D25aga v. 55
- Morgan - Hinson, Emma Morgan. Morgan. N.C.: E.M. Hinson, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M821hi
- Overton - Powell, Durward E. John Overton of Stepney, Middlesex, England, and His Descendants. Durham, N.C.: D.E. Powell, 1998, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 Ov2p
- Powell - Andrea, Leonardo. Powell. MSS., Typescript, Polk County Historical Library, Bartow, Fla., 1962. 978080 Item 2
- Prescott - Prescott, Fannie Lee, Adell Taylor Prescott and Clarence Ray Prescott. A Bicentennial Salute to the Descendants of Willoughby Prescott of Carteret County, North Carolina Born ca. 1750, Died 1829. Greenville, N.C.: A.T. Prescott, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 P925p
- Provow - Provow, Douglas W. The Provo(w) Family History. Typescript, 1972. FHL Film 1750742 Item 52
- Redd - Bryner, Ellen Redd and John Hardison Redd. Biography of Lemuel Hardison Redd. MSS. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Book 921.73 A1 no. 47 LDS
- Redd - Redd, Lura. The Utah Redds and Their Progenitors. Salt Lake City, Utah: A.J. Redd, 2001. FHL CD-ROM no. 1427 LDS
- Reed - Phillips, Opal B. and Carrie B. Hart. George Reed Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind. FHL Film 1451834
- Snead - Butler, Florence Roberta Walker. The Sneads of Accomack County Virginia, Craven, Onslow and Johnston Counties, North Carolina and Allied Families. n.p.: R.W. Butler, 2008. FHL Book
- Walton - Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- Williams - Maready, Kellon. John Williams (1745-1792), Onslow County, NC: Descendants of His Sons Hopkins Williams, (1790-1866), Stephen Decatur Williams (1775-1862), Duplin County, NC. Chinquapin, N.C.: A.K. Maready, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 W673ma
- Wooton - Wooten, E.C., Jessamine Young Wooton, and Wooten and Related Families Association. Charles Wooton of Kentucky. Arlington, Va.: Wooten and Related Families Association, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 W889we
- Onslow County deeds - via NCGenWeb Archives
For a Brief History of Onslow County visit:
A Teacher's Guide to Onslow County in the Civil War: http://www.onslowcountync.gov/uploadedFiles/Museum/Education_and_Tours/Civil%20War%20Teacher%27s%20Guide.pdf
For maps showing the evolution of Onslow County from since 1731:
Early migration routes to and from Onslow County for European settlers included:
- Onslow County NCGenWeb Military page
- Life Before Camp Lejune - area history compiled by Jane Hoveland
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company E
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, Company E
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, Company G
- - 41st Regiment Volunteers - 3rd Cavalry, Company B
- - 41st Regiment Volunteers - 3rd Cavalry, Company H
- - 8th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry (Partisan Rangers), 5th Company
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Onslow County newspaper information - via Onslow County NCGenWeb
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1765 - 1961 - Will Books A, 1 to 7 (1765-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Onslow County tax records - via NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Onslow County Register of Deeds. Check their website for more information.
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Onslow County North Carolina Birth Records at USGenWeb - free.
- 1799 - 1893 - NC Marriages as reported in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1741 - 1867 - Onslow County Marriage Bonds 1741-1867 at USGenWeb Archives - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Onslow County Deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s
- 1982 - 2006 - Onslow County Death Index 1982-2006 - via the Register of Deeds
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Onslow County wills - includes will books A, B & C; via Onslow County NCGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
Coastal Genealogical Society
PO Box 1421
Swansboro, NC 28584
Onslow County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1739
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Onslow County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Onslow, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Onslow County Museum
- Swansboro History - blog dedicated to Swansboro
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Onslaw County, North Carolina. Page 511 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Onslow County QuickFacts". U.S. Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/37133.html. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:304. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 414. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.