Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
Question #1: When I browse through the collection of Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923 >Kent > Goderich > St Peter, why do I find records from Chatham St. Joseph?
Answer #1: The Kent > Goderich > St Peter records are mislabeled and should be labeled Kent > Chatham > St. Joseph.
Question #2: There are records for St. Anthony of Padua found at two different browse points – Cardwell > Ottawa and Carleton > Ottawa. Are these records for the same parish?
Answer #2: Yes. The Cardwell records should be moved to the Carleton browse point.
Question #3: The page numbers on the records found at York > Toronto > St Paul > Baptisms, marriages, burials 1834-1850, image 179 jump from page number 345 to page number 405. Where are the missing pages?
Answer #3: It appears as though all the pages are included but the pages have been incorrectly numbered. On image 180, there is a sidebar stating there is a document numbering error. The records on pages 345 and 305 are all from May 1849 with no apparent gaps.
Question #4: The record found at Perth > Stratford > St Joseph > Baptisms 1856-1862 are indexes. Where are the baptism records?
Answer #4: Some of the records at the Perth > Stratford > St Joseph are incorrectly labeled as follows:
- Baptisms 1856-1862 should be labeled Index to Baptisms 1856-1862
- Baptisms, Marriages 1849-1869 should be labeled Index to Baptisms, Marriages
- Baptisms, Marriages 1853 should be labeled Index of Baptisms, Marriages 1853
- Baptisms, Marriages, Burials 1849-1910 should be labeled Baptism, confirmations, Marriages, Burials 1849-1910
The actual baptism or marriage records referred to in the indexes are not currently available online. The records from St Joseph church in Stratford are found on films 1312051, 1312052 and 1312053. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the film.
Question #5: When I try to view the images in some browse points, I get a black screen, the path above the image window disappears, and there are no forward and back arrows? Why can't I see these images?
Answer #5: Images in some browse points have not been linked to the images. Following is a list of the known browse points that are affected.
- Grenville > Prescott > St Mark >
- Baptisms, marriages, burials 1829-1839, Vol. 1
- Baptisms, marriages, burials 1838-1854, Vol. 2
- Baptisms, marriages, burials 1854-1874, Vol. 3
- Baptisms, marriages, burials 1875-1897
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window. For example: Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923 > Kent > Goderich > St Peter > Marriages 1908-1910 > Image 10 of 31.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923 collection at FamilySearch.org.