Ontario Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Canada|
|Location of Ontario, Canada|
|Title in the Language|
What is in this Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1779 to 1899.This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article Births and Christenings Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor.
- The approximate year of birth or baptism.
- The place where the birth or baptism occurred.
- The names of the child's parents.
Search by Name by visiting the Collection Page:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s birth or baptism record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- This collection is an index and images. Always look at the image to see if there is extra information not included in the index. Look for the GS number listed on the record you found, if you are interested in finding the catalog entry for the set of records your ancestor is located in. The GS number is the microfilm number that can be used to do this. To find out more about what is on the microfilm you're interested in, use the FamilySearch Catalog.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Try searching other birth collections this (like Ontario birth collection) and keep in mind that this index is not complete.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Ontario, Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
Record citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899.|
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.