Ontario Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Canada|
|Location of Ontario, Canada|
|Title in the Language|
- 1 What is in this Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues with This Collection
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in this Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1779 to 1899.This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
What Can these Records Tell Me?
Birth and christening index entries usually include:
- Name of the child
- Names of the parents
- Birth date
- Christening date (if the source is a church record)
Birth and christening index entries sometimes include:
- Father's birthplace
- Mother's birthplace
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
Search the Index
Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, census, church, land and death records.
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records.
- Use the information to establish a migration pattern and find additional family members.
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family.
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900.
I Can’t Find Who I’m Looking for, What Now?
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- Try searching other birth collections this (like Ontario birth collection) and keep in mind that this index is not complete.
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality in an area search.
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images.
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well.
- Search the indexes and records of Ontario, Canada Genealogy.
- Search in the Ontario Archives and Libraries.
- Search in the FamilySearch Library Catalog
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Ontario, Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
Record citation (or citation for the index entry):
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.