Oregon, Benton County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Oregon, Benton County Records, 1856-1984 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Benton, Oregon, United States|
|Flag of Oregon|
|Location of Benton, Oregon|
|Location of Oregon|
|Record Type||County Clerk Records|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing this Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection includes digital images of the following:
- Land and property records (1856-1984)
- Old age pensions (1934-1936)
- Naturalization records (1864-1962)
- Military records (1919-1948)
- Probate records (1853-1856)
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Benton County Records, 1856-1984.|
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
The records may include the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual or individuals.
- The approximate date the event occurred.
- The place where the event occurred.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Category"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type, Year Range and Volume" which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now
- Use the age to calculate the birth date.
- Use the birth date or age along with the residence or place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names to locate church and land records.
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment records or military records.
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- The name of the officiator may be a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county.
- The name of the undertaker, mortuary, or cemetery could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes created by local genealogical and historical societies.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
For a summary of this information see the wiki article: United States, How to Use the Records Summary (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Oregon, Benton items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Oregon Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Oregon, Benton County Records, 1856-1984" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing County Clerk, Corvallis.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Benton County Records, 1856-1984.|
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.