Oregon, Douglas County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Oregon, Douglas County Records, 1850-1983 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Douglas, Oregon, United States|
|Flag of Oregon|
|Location of Douglas, Oregon|
|Location of Oregon|
|Record Type||County Records|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What do I do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?
This collection consists of the following:
- Deed records and indexes (1852-1920)
- Marriage records and indexes (1913-1950)
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Douglas County Records, 1850-1983.|
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Oregon marriages click here.
What Can this Collection Tell Me?
Marriage records may include:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of county in which each reside
- Names of witnesses
- Name and title of officiator at ceremony
Land and property records may include:
- Names of interested individuals
- Date of transaction
- Monies exchanged
- Legal description of the land parcel
- Name of witnesses
- Any other pertinent information such as death or estate information or names of dependent children
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred.
- The approximate date the event occurred.
- The name of the individual or individuals such as the names of the bride and groom.
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Record Type, Volume, Date Range" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
What do I do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
- Use the parent’s birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
For a summary of this information see the wiki article: United States, How to Use the Records Summary (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Oregon, Douglas items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Oregon Archives and Libraries.|
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Oregon, Douglas County Marriages, 1850-1983." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Citing County Clerk, Roseburg.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Oregon, Douglas County Records, 1850-1983.|
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.