Oregon Naturalization and Citizenship
|Oregon Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Oregon State Archives Naturalization Record Index
- Oregon, Naturalization Records 1895-1999 ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Oregon, 1859-1935 - U.S. Circuit Court, Indexes to Declarations ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Oregon, 1906-1935 - U.S. Circuit Court, Petitions ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Oregon, 1859-1907 - U.S. Circuit and District Courts, Admissions to citizenship ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Oregon, 1859-1956 - U.S. District Court, Indexes to Declarations ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Oregon, 1906-1956 - U.S. District Court, Petitions ($)
- Naturalization Records List Records held at the Oregon State Archives
- Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, 1859-1941 ($)
In the territorial era, immigrants could apply for citizenship at any U.S. district court. Naturalization records filed as part of the “donation land” laws are at the National Archives.
After statehood in 1859, the circuit court had primary jurisdiction over naturalization. The county clerk served as clerk of the circuit court and kept the records. You can obtain copies of declarations and petitions from the clerk's office in each county. Some naturalization records may also be found in county court journals or U.S. district court records. The Family History Library has copies of some naturalization records for Oregon.
- National Archives and Records Service, Indexes to naturalization records of the U.S. Circuit and District Courts, for the District of Oregon 1859-1956 : National Archives microfilm publications pamphlet describing M1242 (Washington D.C. : NARA, 1985) FHL book 973 J53m no. 1242
- Samuelsen, W.David, Oregon Naturalization Records Index : Declaration of Intention (SLC, Utah : Sampubco, c1995) At various libraries; FHL book 979.5 P4s volume 1 and 2
- United States Circuit and District Courts, Indexes to Naturalization Records in the U.S. Circuit and District Courts (Washington, D.C. : National Archives, Central Plains Region, [198-?] FHL film 1433979–1433981
- United States District and Circuit Courts, Declarations of intention, 1859-1941; petitions for naturalization, 1906-1941; indexes, 1863-1956; military petitions for naturalization, 1917-1918 FHL Film 1492135 items 2 - 3 (first film)
- For naturalization records after September 1906, contact the National Archives—Pacific Northwest Region (Seattle) or use the Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov. The Seattle Branch has records of the U.S. District Court for 1859 to 1970, and the U.S. Circuit Court for 1870 to 1912.
- The Family History Library has U.S. District Court indexes 1863-1956 and records 1859-1941 (beginning on Family History Library film FHL film1492135 item 2), and U.S. Circuit Court indexes 1859-1956 FHL film 1433979 (first film).
- The Family History Library has copies of naturalization records which are located at the county level. Search the FamilySearch Catalog for naturalization records under the county and state:
- OREGON, NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
- OREGON, [Name of County] - NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
Oregon Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Oregon, Benton County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Oregon, Columbia County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into this Wiki site and is being updated as time permits.