- 1 Town Hall
- 2 Town Clerk
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Resources
- 5 References
Orleans was named in honor of Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orleans
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
3 March 1797: Incorporated as a town, from part of Eastham (St 1796, c64)
Archiac name: Namskaket, Pochet
Section/Villages within the town: Barleyneck, East Orleans, Namskaket, Nemequoit, North Orleans, Orleans Center, Pochet, Portnomequot, Rock Harbor, South Orleans, Tonset, West Orleans
Wikipedia: Orleans, Massachusetts
9 March 1839: Part of Eastham annexed.
20 February 1861: Bounds between Orleans and Brewster established.
4 April 1862: Bounds between Orleans and Harwich established.
14 April 1862: Bounds between Orleans and Chatham established.
23 March 1867: Bounds between Orleans and Eastham established and part of each town annexed to the other town.
20 June 1935: Bounds between Orleans and Brewster re-established.
East Orleans Cemetery aka Meetinghouse Road Cemetery (1812)
east of Meetinghouse Road
Freeman Smallpox Cemetery
off Rte 28 near Pleasant Bay
Methodist Meeting House Cemetery aka Orleans Center Cemetery (1818)
Rte 6A and Main St
Orleans Cemetery (1723)
Rte 6A, Main St.
Rogers Family Cemetery (1816)
Harwich Rd, between 28 and 39
Church History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums