Ossett cum Gawthorpe, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Ossett cum Gawthorpe, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Ossett cum Gawthorpe, Yorkshire|
|Poor Law Union||Dewsbury|
|Parish registers: 1792|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - York; Post-1835 - Ripon|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
OSSETT, with Gawthorpe, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Dewsbury, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. ) from Wakefield. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Ossett cum Gawthorpe exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|OSSETT CUM GAWTHORPE CHAPELRY Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding **Chapelry** and comprising the whole ancient parish of **Parish** to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ***Parish*** page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464239.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 486-491. Date accessed: 23 October 2013.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910,' Ancestry, accessed 12 May 2014.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935,' Ancestry, accessed 12 May 2014.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1985,' Ancestry, accessed 13 May 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Yorkshire West Riding,' FreeREG, accessed 22 October 2014.